NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First look at Jupiter this year...

James

I was out last night trying to image but was eventually beaten by clouds repeatedly drifting across the field of view. Before I turned everything off I spotted Jupiter peeping above the house. I pointed my ED100 at it, sat down on a stool and hunkered down for a view.

Well.... what can I say, the seeing was variable but after about 10 minutes I was pretty sure I'd seen as much as she has to offer under the conditions but I was reluctant to call a halt - there were a few bands visible, the moons were all there. I kept on looking and my patience was rewarded eventually about five minutes later by about 3 seconds of the most stunning view I'd ever had of Jupiter. It was as if the atmosphere and a good few million miles of distance were just ripped away. I could see lots of bands, whorls in the bands, colours, spots you name it. After that 3 second or so period things went back to normal.

After that I was happy to pack up. Just goes to show though that sometimes you need to really invest some time into viewing something and the longer you do so the more you will see. About 20 minutes watching something for 3 seconds of stunning clarity doesn't sound like much return but those few seconds will stay in my mind for a long time :)

James

I agree James, those few seconds of stunning seeing will stay with you for a long time. I had 90 minutes at the eyepiece last observing session with Jupiter... (time goes so fast when you are having fun as they say) I had, all together, about 8 minutes of good seeing out of it. But it was so worth it.

It must been truly awesome to see that amount of delicate detail in the bands.

Sounds great Steve. Just like yourself I find the more you observe an object the more you see. Pointless in just saying "Ok seen that" after 1 minute and moving on. Try and spend a good 10 minutes on each subject.

You will be amazed at what pops out in good seeing.

Lucky you!:)

Its been a while since I had a good view of Jupiter.

It's perfectly true (and a bit ironic) that we all spend so long agonising over telescope types and eyepiece designs when all we really need to do, is sit still and wait for a good night.

The atmosphere affects the view so much that equipment type is rarely of any consequence. This is especially true in the UK!

Now that I've figured this out I'm sure I'll stop buying eyepieces (or maybe not :))

Sounds great Steve. Just like yourself....

*cough* :) It's James... :)

I really think at least 10 minutes on an object is a minimum, I'll often come back again and again to the same object.

I really should try sketching - not because I'd be any good but because it forces you to look more carefully and helps you see more.

James

*cough* :rolleyes: It's James... :)

I really think at least 10 minutes on an object is a minimum, I'll often come back again and again to the same object.

I really should try sketching - not because I'd be any good but because it forces you to look more carefully and helps you see more.

James

Sorry Steve cough James :)

I've just started sketching. I done four last night, spent about 30 minutes on each one.

It was great and I really looked hard to see delicate stars and those hard to see dust lanes in M31.

I only saw 4 objects during the night but I feel I know them really well.

I rember that same night viewing Jupiter for the first time. Looking East, there is a gap between two trees where Jupiter appears shortly after 10pm - I had to set the mount and telescope on the lawn, set up along the line of sight to Jupiter a couple of hours before. Finally it appeared briefly for a few seconds, adjusted the telescope and focused, but the bands of cloud kept passing by. I was determined and waited for the cloud to pass to focus in again, in between general observing. About 10:30 there was a break and suddenly Jupiter popped into view at about x150 mag, with her 4 main moons to the left through the eyepiece. I could see three bands. the view lasted for about 3 minutes before the clouds drifted in again for good.

From where I live, in a suburban area, with an annoying street light planted far too close last year, it is very challenging but rewarding. The televue Ethos 13mm gives superb views through my telescope and I have taken some photos of the Moon through my DSLR at prime focus. I only took receipt of my first telescope in February and am yet to align my scope - it's a learning experience!

Looking forward to my week in Glencoe, Scotland, in September, when I take my telescope to view under some truly dark skies (weather permitting) :)

We took the caravan up to the lakes last week near Ullswater,and I packed my scope ,every night was cloudy apart from one(31/7 I think)even then it was a now you see it now you don`t.

But to see Jupiter rise up over the southern hills was magical:),even though it clouded over after about 10 minutes,then just as I was packing up the sky miraculously cleared..typical.:)

:)

James-

I also had that moment, I had just picked the cat up and turned round to see Jupiter for a few seconds clearly and then more faintly.....the only problem for me is no telescope yet.....if only!

Liked your picture processing as well.

cheers

nia:)

Hi James,

That's a nice experience,and it makes you think how rewarding it would be if seeing was steady like that for minutes rather than seconds! the window of opportunity to record such detail to sketch is extremely short and is a challenge.

I hope you have more such excellent views during the current jupiter apparition.

Mike

Archived