Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Roundtable Platforms ceased trading.

Oh dear what a shame. Looks like I'm down to 3 options now,

Keep fingers crossed that Arthur goes into production

Pay silly money for a Stellarcat, would give me goto but fiddly to fit

Sell up (the dob and Argo navis cost over a grand) and get a 10 inch on an EQ6 pro

Not a decision to be taken lightly, I need to think, my head hurts :)

It's an option Gaz, but after installing the Argo on my flextube and all the hassle that went with it, I'm loathe to sell up just to get the same scope with a tracking facility.

I think I'll wait and see how things develope down Norfolk way :)

Still not much going on here, the design gets worked on now and again but other things keep getting in the way. I shall do a bit more tonight - my problem is that I need to make it as versatile as possible and that means a 45 - 50 degree latitude range. Right there is where the fun starts but I am still hopeful for a prototype - working or otherwise - for Kelling this year. As is always the nature of new designs, it needs to be radical to survive, and to be radical it has to use untried systems and design. I am getting there and it is not something I want to see get dropped.

Arthur

Just had another look at the drawings, and the best I can do is 15o to 60o, with maybe another 10o each side by jacking the front or back up the extra. If people think that's acceptable I can move on a bit to some real drawings and see if it's feasible!

Arthur

PS - Yes, I mean drawings, not on the PC but on a bit of paper, on a board, with a drafting machine. I can design as I go *much* better that way and I cannot get away from the habit of using my hands for things other than a damned mouse!

I would say Arthur thats more then most people would hope for. Thats quite a range, most platforms I have seen only have +/- 10°.

I'm at 53° so alright for me.

I find that in many situations, things are designed to do a specific job. If one expands the envelope to include more variables then, while the final solution may take longer to realise, but it will be a more "holistic" one - in as much as it will therefore take into account the needs of all users rather than just the one that wants a solution *now*!

Arthur

Thanks. I do have a problem in that once I made the decision to concentrate on design/prototyping (as well as maintaining current customers) I foundd I have way too many designs in the book and not enough hours in a day/days in a week/weeks in a year/and so on to get them nailed down. It's frustrating, but it unfortunately means that the designs I am doing for other companies (that are paying me to do it) are taking priority - so even designs that I think have a future are sitting on the side waiting for some spare minutes.

Arthur

At the heart of many small astro companies are passionate astronomers wishing to bring something special to the market so it is always a shame when the market and economy moves against them.

I wish you the very best of luck with your platform Arthur :) :)

Not sure Steve, right now it's hard walking let alone driving. And I am still looking for a pitch at Kelling would you believe? Vince (yes, that one!) and I will be there somewhere but not even sure what in yet let alone where :)

Arthur

Archived