Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another DSLR astro photography question...

Hi all,

I want to try my hand a getting some images - using my Skymax 127 (EQ3 mount) scope, and my Canon D400 digital SLR camera.

It looks like I just need a 'T-adapter' - which will allow me to fix my camera onto the back of the telescope... but please let me know if I actually need more than this.

That said... what kind of images should I be able to get with this set-up? Sounds like I won't need much exposure for Lunar images... but what about planets? Will these just appear blurred - due to lengthy exposure (without a motor driven mount)... or is there a way to get decent images of planets somehow? I'd love to get some images of Saturn and Jupiter.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Hello,

You will need a T Ring which converts your camera's lens fitting to a T fitting, you then need a T>2" nosepiece. Alternativly you can buy the MaxDSLR which is the whole thing in one: Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor

As for what you can take.... You should be able to get some basic shots of the moon but I would think that anything else would be out unless you get the motor drive. You could try for the planets but I think it may be tricky without a motor drive. Also most planetry images are taken with multiple stacked webcam images, the webcam has the advantage of being able to take many shots in a short period of time.

As others have already stated, you just need a "T" ring.

The "T" ring screws directly onto the Skymax.

When I had my 127mm, the Moon filled almost the full height of the frame (Nikon D70).

Have a look at my Moon shots in my picture folders.

I was using on average 1/125 sec shutter speed at 200 iso depending on the Moon phase.

Paul

If the Skymax 127 has the same fittings as the Skymax 102 then you will only need a T ring. The rear of the scope tubing... (visual back ??) on the 102 is fitted with a T thread. To be honest, using an SLR for planets is a total pain... you need so many stacked magnifiers the entire thing becomes rather precarious... It's great for the moon though.

Archived