NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vacuum Coatings-good firm?

Not quite sure what section to ask this question but one with HELP in seemed appropiate! came across a firm called Vacuum Coatings on line at Waltham.They re aluminise reflecttor mirrors and also sell telescopes at very reasonable prices.they are also close enough to me collect.But i ve not heard of them?or bought anything from them.Cant even find "reviews"on line. Anyone help please

L'Missus bought her old TAL 150(P) from them and the guy actually drove from Walthamstow to our house in St. Neots to deliver it so I can't really fault them on that front :).

Tony..

I've just had the mirrors from my 10" newt re-coated by this company.

I dropped them in on 9th July and had a chat with Terry while I was there. He was very busy completing an order for some beam splitters, but still made time to explain what was involved in the process.

I asked Terry if he could get them done in a week for me because work commitments would have meant leaving them there for around a month otherwise, and didn't like the idea of having them sent back by courier. Terry called me on the morning they were due to be finished and told me they were just applying the second coat and they'd be ready that afternoon.

I went back to collect them and have a longer chat with Terry, he showed me the coating machines and a 30" f/6 mirror that he is in the middle of figuring :)

Overall - great company to deal with, very helpful, very experienced and they made a lovely job of re-coating my beloved mirrors. Don't expect a clean tidy workshop or a large premises, they are a two man band in a small(ish) unit and seem to be very busy. I found it was better to call Terry (or Jamie) rather than email them, they do answer emails but it sometimes takes a few days. I'd use them again.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Archived