NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen 6mm Plossl

Naz

Well it arrived today, safely delivered by the PO all the way from West Wales, thanks to Dave, if he reads this, told him about the forum.

Anyway back to the ep, brand new, think it's only been used once, got the eye cup fitted, and a grove on the metal sleeve for the retaining screw, had a quick look at a radio mast just over a mile away, looks promising,. Tonight is :D, but there looks to be a clear patch in the NE, hope it's heading this way.

Will give a review as soon as I get a chance to use it in earnest.

naz :D

I am looking forward to the review :D

What will you be comparing it to?

The standard Skywatcher plossel's that came with the scope, as long as it produces a reasonable clear image of the planets, and doesn't increase the CA, I will be happy, Will be using it on the 120 f5, giving 100X, could be interesting.

naz

Exactly

Whats that Jimi Hendrix song? :D

600mm divide by 6mm = 100X = Purple Haze

I have had it up to 120 with a cheap barlow, (plastic tube type :roll:) and the CA was ok if I keep the image central in the FOV. Since got rid of that barlow, now looking for a replacement.

I managed tonight, even though it still isn't dark at 11.12pm, just had an hour looking at Jupiter with the new ep.

To say I am impressed, sure am. :D For a so called cheap lens, there was virtually no CA, a lot less than the Skywatcher 10mm plossl that comes as standard with the scope.

Jupiter was sharp and clear, atmosphere allowing. Could distinctly make out dark areas on the equatorial bands. The lens is a step up from the standard ones supplied, although I think that I have a duff scope, not having another short tube to compare with, but there is a lack off the Voilet haze that I have heard off. Yes there is a tendency for it happen with the supplied ep's, but the Vixen shows it a lot less. I won't be rushing to buy a fringe killer just yet :D

Would I buy or recommend them, then the answer is yes. If the rest of the range is as good, then they make a positive step up from the standard plossl.

I will definitely be looking out for more :lol:

naz :lol::D

Glad you like the EP and the scope Naz, if you've got x100 I doubt you've got a duff one!! :D

I had my 102 f5 up to 125x on Jupiter last night, the CA was pretty bad, but an f5 refractor is a f5 refractor.... :D

Had a look at the full moon just to see if the CA was more pronounced, around the edge was a very narrow violet fringe, but IMHO it wouldn't bother me, as on the moon i would normally use the stop in the cap, and with that I have not had any fringing using the Skywatcher ep's.

Yep I reckon that this scope is definitely a duff one, no fringe worth mentioning, maybe I should ask Skywatcher to but in the usual optics that people love, NOT. :lol:

A frac is a frac, I agree, the contrast is good, the belts on Jupiter were clear and distinct, when the atmosphere allowed, also with full moon close by, and still a brightish sky from the three hour sunsets, I thought the combination preformed well, not perfect, but for a total spend of £130, I have no complaints, now where can I get a 10" APO for a tenner :lol:

the 80 mm f5 I had was a lot worse, not sure the manufacturer, but looked exactly like the ones on the TS site in Germany, OK as a grab and go, but don't expect too much.

naz :D :D :D :D

It usually means "Chromatic Aberation", it's the problem of light being refracted and the 3 colours splitting and not being focused at the same point. This gives bright objects a purple halo or tinge. Achromatic refractors suffer this as do poor quality eyepieces. Apochromatic means the 3 colours are focused at one point by using multiple lenses and exotic glass. Apo lenses are typically much more expensive than achro lenses however.

Chromatic Aberration, it is where the colours of the light are not brought together at the same point of focus. Shows as a colour haze around bright objects such as bright stars and planets, Jupiter and Venus especially. Usually green, red or blueish tinges.

Achromatics suffer from this to a greater or less degree depending on how well the optics are manufactured, short tube refractors suffer, i.e. f5 tyoes, more than longer scopes such as f8's.

It is caused by the light passing through the lenses, reflectors dont suffer as the light bounces of the surface of the mirrors, the only glass that the light passes through is the EP, (eyepiece), which can cause CA if of poor design and manufacture, but normally noticeable.

The bit that Gordon mentions about Apo's explains how they get around the problem.

Hope this answers your question Kain.

Archived