Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 heart - Meade 127 1st light

philj

I knew this would be pushing it because M31 is so big, I wanted to try the WO Flattener II in this scope which would give it F6ish. Couldnt fit it all in and what I did fit in needed cropping due to vignetting caused by the flattener, not the scope. I cropped because I didnt do flats but the stars were pretty good right to teh extremeties, so I may go for a more suited flattener one day but there is no rush.

Again 25 minutes at ISO800

Thats the lot, I didnt't do any other images or longer exposures because I was trying the scope out visually as well and may I say it did not dissapoint.

Philj

post-14930-133877386473_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done Phil, very tight stars and detail in the dust lanes. A flat will definitely fix the vignetting, and if the stars are tight to the edge I wouldn't worry too much. From my tests, the MkIII was a bit better than the II regards vignetting, but not by a lot. I think it ultimately comes down to the light path through the focuser and the baffles, as you try to widen the imaging field past its native focal length.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

After talking to the dealer who supplied the scope, he reckons the Mk4 flattener would do well in this and it suffers less vignetting than the Mk11. The MK11 although a good flattener tends which seems to work in the 127 is just a bit too much on the vignetting for my liking, it does after all say "For the ZS66" on it so I think Im pushing it a little in the F7.5 127:D

The Mk4 is not a reducer as such purely flattener. I shall do a few more images, weather gods permitting ,then see if I need one.

philj

That's right, I forgot the Mk IV is not a reducer. For a cheaper alternative, which worked very well on the megrez 110 I had, you can try the baader mpcc... yep, I know, it's supposed to correct for coma but it flattens the field as well. With a little tweaking you can get the stars tight all the way to the edge and of course, no more vignetting than you already have at the native fl. It's worth a try, even better if you can borrow one at a star party to try it out. :)

As to reducing, well, it depends on the target. I truly wish I had kept one of my reducers, my main scope, an f9 RC, is a bit slow.

Daniel

Archived