NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shuttle Launch Visible tonight!

calibos

Shame the launch was scrubbed, but I did get to see the ISS go by :)

It looked like there was a smaller object a distance in front of it too, both appeared to be travelling at the same speed. Any ideas?

BTW, for tomorrow's launch, if you're streaming Nasa tv, there's a slightly higher quality feed available.

I think I read that its their rubbish. ie a progress resupply pod that delivered their last load of supplies then filled with rubbish and sent off on its merry way on a trajectory that will cause it to de-orbit and burn up in the atmosphere. The same fate will befall the current progress pod that is playing catch up with the ISS at the moment with the next load of supplies.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather Remains Red

Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:10:11 PM UTC+0100

Atmospheric conditions remain "no-go" for launch at this point because of a storm to the south of Kennedy. There is also a storm to the north that forecasters are watching carefully.

Not looking good yet again.

Storm to the North

Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:24:02 PM UTC+0100

A blossoming thunderstorm north of the launch pad is causing considerable concerns because it may not move out in time for a launch today. The countdown continues to pause as planned and controllers are still working toward a liftoff at 6:51 p.m.

got a little more time but not much - looking unlikely:mad:

Weather Violates Second Rule

Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:29:54 PM UTC+0100

Shuttle Weather Officer Kathy Winters reports a violation of what's known as "the field mill rule" which determines the potential for lightning strikes.

Lightning Warning Issued at Launch Pad

Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:34:58 PM UTC+0100

Officials just issued a Phase I lightning warning for the Launch Complex 39 area.

Three Reds on Weather Forecast

Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:32:38 PM UTC+0100

The weather conditions are evolving in the wrong direction for today's launch. Current conditions violate three weather criteria now, including lightning, restrictions on anvil clouds and the previously mentioned field mill violation.

Looks like the launch is gong to be scrubbed again.

Lightning about. It did move away, then started to come back towards the launch site. Shame, but no risk taking here, and rightly so.

Ron.

Archived