Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open cluster recommendations

ashenlight

Thanks so much for your contributions everyone, it'd take an age for me to thank you all personally so a group one will have to do. Going to look into a few sites that have been mentioned but the personal recommendations really stay with me, knowing that another fellow amateur has been blown over by something gives me real impetus to get out there and search for it :) Open clusters are so impressive I'm looking for some corkers to show family and friends. They are sort of 'there' and don't require much averted vision. They seem to get the 'wow' factor more than galaxies and globular clusters, as they are more than a 'smudge' - amazing to me but not so breathtaking to a 'passer by.' Think alot of people expect Hubble type views! Got a lovely long list to get me going now :)

David... tbh... I just sort of point and hope for the best, I don't really know my limiting magnitude (and never had the foresight to go and find it out). Just get what I can, if it is too faint to see, there's plenty more out there that I will be able to get with my scope! and cheers for that list, seen most of them to date, alot are favourites I come back to time and time again, even just with the binos.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bee very careful about the Springer book. It contains many errors and could not be recommdned. The best book on star clusters is the Book Star Clusterrs by Hynes and Archinal published by Willmann-Bell

Owen

I'd like to second Brocchi's (Coathanger) cluster for this time of year and suggest Stock 2 as well. It's like Leonardo's man with arms and legs spreadeagled and if you can get a bino field it can be a beauty seen with the Double Cluster. I have a widefield mosaic planned for these two sometime.

Olly

Xmas tree, NGC 2264? However, isn't there something Xmas tree like in Auriga? One of the Messiers? I hadn't heard of the Muscleman, Talitha, but it sounds about right for Stock 2. Sometimes I wonder about these folks. Who was Stock? Must look him up. Stephan (quintet) turned out to be pretty interesting.

Olly

Thanks Olly - it was NGC2264 I was thinking of, about 10 degrees off the shoulder of Orion (close to the Sun at the moment though). It is surrounded by nebulosity, but I've only seen the cluster.

Archived