SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open cluster recommendations

ashenlight

Hi all,

Well, it's been cloudy for days now so I have been making lists of objects I would like to observe in the next year or so. I would really like to observe some open clusters, can any one recommend any good ones? My scope's a 5" newt so if anyone has had some good open cluster views through a similar sized scope it'd be great if you could recommend. I have viewed some in the past with binoculars - double cluster in Perseus and the beehive cluster springs to mind - but I'd like to give them and others a go with a wide FOV and my scope.

Recommendations don't have to be specific to this season, I'm looking at over the next year or so, so any season is fine (although, with winter coming up, might be a good time of year to start)

Thank you :) :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I have a 5" reflector too. Last weekend I was trying to locate Andromeda but accidentally found an amazing object under Cassiopeia. I checked my software and photos later and I think it was Double Cluster. Since it's the only cluster I've seen so far I can't tell you how cool it is relatively to other clusters but anyway it is very beautifull and worth looking for. This object really impressed me and next few weekends I am going to hunt different clusters. So if I find something cool, I'll let you know!

How about these for starters.

M11 Wid duck cluster just awesome.

Christmas Tree Cluster also known as the Cone Nebula NGC 2264.

NGC 884/869 Perseus double cluster.

M37, M36 and M38 in Auriga.

NGC 6939 a Open Cluster in Cephus.

IC 1396 a very large Open Cluster in Cephus

Coathanger CR 399 an open cluster in Vulpecula

Don't miss M39, but use a low power eyepiece. If your southern horizon is low enough, M4 in Scorpio, M24 and especially M25 in Sagittarius. As already mentioned, M11 is a gem. And search out the NGC objects in Cassiopeia, especially NGC663, NGC654 and the brilliant NGC457 (The ET (or Owl) cluster).

There is a nice cluster about 8 moon widths below Sirius, if your southern aspect is good, M41. Low down, but still a lovely sight.

M44 The Beehive, already mentioned I think. There are so many, and every one a delight to the eye.:)

Ron.

Amanda, there are a lot of observing lists online.. have you tried Google? The real 'show-stoppers' are listed on all of them, but you'll also find a lot of open clusters which are quite lovely even though they're not as well known. :)

Hi Amanda,

There's a great book out through Springer publishers called, oddly enough:rolleyes:, 'Clusters and How to Observe Them'. Can't remember the author's name off the top of my head, but the book should keep you busy for quite some time!

Stef:)

It is a nice one Amanda.

The one that knocked my socks off when I first saw it in my 16" was NGC 6939. I was gobsmacked.

M11 is also an awesome sight.

Like Doc said, Open Star Cluster NGC 6939 should be a nice 'un...even possibly M92 [Mag. 6.5] in Hercules is one to catch at about this time.

Top ten objects in May :

10m83.ico.jpgM83

9m104.ico.jpgM104

8m8.ico.jpgM8

7m27.ico.jpgM27

6m45.ico.jpgM45

5m51.ico.jpgM51

4m42.ico.jpgM42

3m1.ico.jpgM1

2m57.ico.jpgM57

1m31.ico.jpgM31

You wont see them in this much detail, but they should be quite (excuse this from me ) 'cool' too.

David

OOOOPS SUGAR im sorry amanda you asked for clusters and i gave you everything but them LOL....:)

Anyways the ones ive posted should be OK...whats the faintest thing you can see with your scope [limiting magnitude]????

David

Archived