Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular Book Advice Needed

Hello again,

I'm thinking of buying a book to compliment my binocular observing with my 15x70s.

I was thinking something along the lines of "Turn Left at Orion", but more orientated to binoculars. Some of the objects in TLAO are good for binos, but the text is really written for observing in scopes. Also, many of the object are double stars, most of which are beyond the power of binoculars. At least, beyond the kind of binoculars which arn't basically two legitimate full sized scopes strapped to each other.

Which book would be best for me?

If so, would it be much better than those listed under TLAO, or just picking objects off the internet and navigating to them with a star atlas?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. Looking on here and on reviews on other sites, I'm thinking maybe be Phil Harringtons "Touring the Universe through Binoculars" or another one that seems to be highly commended, "Binoucular Astronomy" by Craig Crossen and Will Tirion. Knowing me, probably both, eventually.

I use the Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath, no idea why but it suits me better then TLAO. Have a copy of TLAO but have opened it only once.

I am guessing that Touring the Universe through Binoculars is related to TUBA B):confused::( A small software package for binocular viewing that is free.

And I have just realised that I do not have the link at home, it is on the PC at work. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:):iamwithstupid::):iamwithstupid:;)

Got it :(Touring the Universe through Binoculars Atlas

Phew, I need that as it is useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else seen this document?

This pdf file starts of with a general introduction then goes on to list 110 binocular objects, with 2 objects per page. The objects are listed by constellation, and includes a short description of each object and a diagram of what you can expect to see in a 5deg binocular field. There is space below each object for you to add your own observation report and a circle for you to render your own drawing of the objects.

You could just print off each constellation as required, or even just a single page at a time.

I think this an excellent starting place for beginners, and gives newbies something to aim at rather than aimlessly scanning the sky for something noteworthy, and you'll be learning your way around the sky as you progress.

All credit to SGL member iamjulian for finding this first, and to the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies who've made this file available. :)

Archived