Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sidewalk Astronomy - but not as we know it Spock!

Tiny

Having read about people just setting up on the pavement and letting passers by have a look though their scope we thought we would give it a go when out on the boat.

A sun scope takes up little space and can be set up in a couple of minutes. Add the odd prominance and people have just got to be impressed - or so we thought.

Mooring beside the towpath with nature lovers wandering round a reserve you might think we would have to hold back the numbers wanting to have a peek. But this is England where things don't seem to happen like that if you are not properly introduced.

First to pass was a biker who skidded to a halt and wanted to know what we were doing. We got the impression he thought the path was his pesonal race track for when being offered a look at the sun he told us we were mad to want to look at the stars and should do like he did and ride a bike. Then he left at high speed barely missing, as bikers on towpaths often do, some walkers heading the other way. (Bikers are supposed to give way to all other towpath users but as no-one tells them the rules for bikes and BW don't enforce them...)

The walkers now approaching seemed to be ideal lookers - just wandering along in no hurry peering about. But when they got close they sped up and all engaged 'no entry to outsiders' chat about money and strode past on the other side. This happened with the next lot too as in 'get past quick and don't make eye contact or they might sell us something'.

The next group actually did stop and asked what are you doing - or one lady did as the others walked by before stopping a few yards beyond. To the lady we said looking at the sun and did she want a look. This caused a reaction we get at home with the postman. He is always in a hurry if we are looking having once offered him a look. On that occassion he refused with the sort of look that reminded us of those islanders fearfull of having their photo taken in case it steals their soul!

As with the postman so with the lady it was a no and rapid exit.

And so it continued with odd passers but no takers until (finally) one group stopped and ask what are you doing. On being told what all but one said thankyou and went to leave but one lady took up our offer.

Of course she had to be 5' and the scope was set for 5'6" and above but, refusing our offer to adjustl she grabbed at the eyepiece (please down touch) and then, letting go of that, stood on tip toe and announced she could see very well and thank you. (It being obvious that at that angle she could see little if anything.) Then, as the rest of the group were suddenly in a hurry she was off after them while they ignored our offer of seeing what she had. (We checked the scope and the sun was mostly still in view in spite of her grab.)

At this point we gave up as it was getting a bit hot. Next day was sunny but a work day and the only towpath users were birders and twitchers who tended to act more like the white rabbit in Alice rushing between hides. We had the scope out but no takers.

That was also the last time we saw the sun for a month and by then we were in a place the towpath was little used so there was just us. After that no sun out except when we were travelling so no more looks.

So will we try again in this year of astronomy. Yes but...

Next time we will try the local canaside cafe for sidewalk sun astronomy. At least we can have a cuppa and maybe a poached egg while trying to attract a viewer! :)

It sounds like the norm to me, at least you did not get the question everybody asks me when they find out i am into astronomy..............................wait for it..............have you seen any ufo's or space ships etc :)

I think also it is a very English thing that we do not ask or stop and chat, and percieve anything a little different as strange. I think its why other nations called us eccentric :)

It sounds like the norm to me, at least you did not get the question everybody asks me when they find out i am into astronomy..............................wait for it..............have you seen any ufo's or space ships etc :)

I think also it is a very English thing that we do not ask or stop and chat, and percieve anything a little different as strange. I think its why other nations called us eccentric :)

A few months back I reported that, when we were out observing Saturn (at night) a car raced down our dead end lane and into our drive. (With full headlights on of course!) They were chasing a UFO. We got them to switch their lights off, let them look at Saturn (little reaction but they did all look), explained the UFO was in this case a chinese lantern hot air whatsit. And off they went back up the lane still trying to chase the darned thing.

Incidentally, like training helicopters follow the railway lines round us so we understand, from a canal online magazine, that UFOs have for some time been following the Manchester Ship Canal up to Manchester. What they do when they get there is a mystery. Maybe they go up to watch Man Us night matches. (The ground is close to the canal.)

Well, at least you tried. :) If people are more cautious than curious, maybe a small sign would break the ice.. "Step right up and see the Sun".. something like that?

Now there is an idea. I do have a staw hat and a cane so maybe I could be a barker. Did that once at the church fete.

After one church Fete they got in the exorcist as we had (with permission) run a fortune telling game. It seems evert C of E area has one so, "If you have a annoying pagan idol," as the exorman told us, "I can cast out the demon." Strangely local C of E don't mind find the lady (which we also do as anyone from 5 to 100 can point - some small kids are just a pair of eyes peering over the edge of the table - we rig it so they win something). Likewise the primary school does not object when we race (electric) pigs with the kids betting on the winner and winning toys.

Great idea to try to engage the public. I'd have stopped, and not just because it is something I am interested in. But I know most people would avoid eye contact. Still, strange that you didn't really get anyone. Good on you for trying.

Good for you for trying to engage others in astronomy :)

I did something similar for the transit of Venus a few years ago - I set up my old Tasco refractor with a project screen so passers by could see the suns disk and Venus in transit - the event co-incided with my son and daughters friends passing by on their way to school so quite a lot of them had a peek and seemed impressed.

Less positively, some local astro society members set some scopes up one evening on our local seafront to show passers by the moon. Unfortunately some yobbos showed up and damaged some of their equipment - not suprisingly the society folk said to our local paper that it's the last time they would try this. Very sad :)

John

Well done for trying. Jeez, I honestly cant imagine a place that nobody stops....seems around here, everyone and their dogs will chat if you are walking lol. (For the record, No offence to the Queen's Country meant by that remark!)

Something also that might throw people off is it probably wouldnt dawn on "common folk" that there is a filter on the end of the scope.... they probably thought you were blinding yourselves lol.

Well, at least you tried. :) If people are more cautious than curious, maybe a small sign would break the ice.. "Step right up and see the Sun".. something like that?

True - They'd need large, colourful laminated signs with perhaps some corporate logos (Sponsored by Tescos or something) and matching t-shirts to assure the public they are bona-fide...

*sigh* We have become very mistrustful as a nation. And it's incredibly sad to see people not expressing an interest.

Nevetheless Tiny, well done for trying. I kinda thought it was typical for the London area, then I realised you are from a more rural location - and was extremely surprised by the public reaction, as we are meant to be more laid back in these parts........

Good for you for trying to engage others in astronomy :)

I did something similar for the transit of Venus a few years ago - I set up my old Tasco refractor with a project screen so passers by could see the suns disk and Venus in transit - the event co-incided with my son and daughters friends passing by on their way to school so quite a lot of them had a peek and seemed impressed.

Less positively, some local astro society members set some scopes up one evening on our local seafront to show passers by the moon. Unfortunately some yobbos showed up and damaged some of their equipment - not suprisingly the society folk said to our local paper that it's the last time they would try this. Very sad :)

John

We actually watched the Transit of Venus using a pair of Bins and a sheet of paper. We were moored at Chelmondeston (pronounced Chumston). A lot of people wandered by but not one asked what we were doing.

A similar thing happened at the same place when we were looking at the moon through a scope. Suddenly, from not a soul when we set up (for a quiet look with just us) they seemed to appear in droves. They were so busy walking dogs, power jogging and all else in the dark that we got out the way and not one asked what we were doing. But it was goodbye night vision with them waving torches around!

The night vision thing happened at one place with no pedestrian access (apart from a headless screaming ghost that inhabits a nearby bridge and wood) for miles. We have the 15x70s out and then the procession starts. God knows where they were all lurking off to - the nearest pub was 5 miles - but back and forth they went and not a dog in sight. The only lot we did talk to wanted to know where the next town was as a friend had dropped them off a couple of miles back to 'walk to it - it is near along the towpath'. In this case it was where the pub was... By the time they had all gone off it had clouded over.

One final tale of night by a canal - on one canal as it got dark man after man went by with dog heading into the country. Finally we stopped one and asked why. It seems that 3 miles along the towpath and across a couple of fields there was the only pub in 50 miles with Marstons on Draft. So the dogs all got a good walk and there was a late bus to get them and their masters back to Barnoldswick (pronounced Barlick) for supper with the wife.

Archived