Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seen jupiter after more than 20 years...

This might be funny but the last time i attempted to see Jupiter was in my early teens...:)

I bought a scope since my Son as this astro fever. So we were up late on Saturday and viewed that bright star in the East. It was a wonderful sight.

I must add some accessories to it.

Any ideas as to what I should get?

I think i have been suggested a better star diagonal, eye pieces and filter? Any suggestions will be most appreciated...:)

With your scope and the eyepiece you have mentioned you have enough kit to start observing and indeed seeing alot of objects. Your eyepieces are not the best in the woorld but good enough to get you started in this great hobby. You could maybe do with a wider field, low mag eyepiece in the region of 32mm.

Filters are a personal taste, I personally apart from the O111 filter have never used them. But listed bellow is what colour filters enhance. But IMO you don't need them. What you need is quality time unnder the stars to become familiar with your scope. What you need is a good starmap, chair and a red torch and stat learning your way around.

Filters can reduce glare, improve image definition and enhance tonal contrast. Here are some suggestions:

A BLUE filter, such as #44A, 47B, or 80A, can be used for the detection of high altitude clouds on Mars, white ovals and spots in the belts of Jupiter, and the zones of the clouds of Saturn. It can also be used to cut down glare on a bright Moon.

A GREEN filter, such as a #58, allows you to see more clearly the edges of the Martian polar caps and enhances the belts and Great Red Spot in the clouds of Jupiter.

A YELLOW filter, such as a #8, 12, or 15, can improve markings in the clouds of Venus and enhance Martian dust storms.

An ORANGE filter, such as a #21, is one of the more useful ones you can have. It is used for bringing out detail on Mars, and enhancing some of the zonal detail on Jupiter. An orange filter darkens the blue sky so daytime observations of Jupiter, Venus and the Moon are much improved.

A RED filter, such as a #23A, 25, or 25A, can also be used to enhance contrast on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. A red filter, however, is fairly dark, so it works best on larger aperture telescopes which give brighter images. Flipping back and forth between red and blue filters can sometimes bring out subtle colorations on the Moon.

A POLARIZING filter can cut down glare when observing a nearly full Moon, making it easier to see ray structure. It will also cut down day-time glare.

Wow Mick,

thanks for that valuable info. Will check up on these filters. Now i have some info, i think i know what I'll be looking for soon :)

Your welcome.

Hope you can make your mind up.

Colour filters are cheap, so you might as well try a few. I would be careful asking for kit advice though...... you never know where it'll lead!!

All the best, Jupiter is still rising a bit late for my tastes, so I'll be on its case in a month or so!

Cheers

PEterW

Archived