Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crayford Focuser::Any good??

You'd be better off spending the money on some good quality eyepieces firstl

Of course, if you are thinking of getting some 2" EPs that's a different matter.

I've got the same focusser* on my Dob (picked mine up cheap 2nd hand off Astrobaby on here when she upgraded to a Moonlite) and I found it an improvement over the original 1.25" Rack & Pinion. Suits me for visual stuff. I guess you need to have a think about whether you want to get into imaging as one of the many pieces of expenditure you'd make then would probably be a further focusser upgrade.

* Well the base and mechanism looks the same but it looks like they've changed eyepiece adaptor section.

That's quite a tall focuser after I fitted mine I need to move the mirror an inch up the tube. Before you decide you could check its suitability for your scope by running your scopes dimensions through this software Dale Keller's Newt Software page (ask the seller the height of the focuser racked in & out). On mine it says I am borderline for vignetting at focuser but it looks ok to me. I guess I can afford to lose a little with 14"

PS - I notice FLO sells these too for £59 and they sponsor this site. You'd also struggle to find someone more helpful.

Its not a bad focuser - and to be honest I found it quite good having only ever used rather rackety old R&P focusers.

It depends what you have on your scope to start with I guess. I recall haitch had either nothing or a cranky old focuser.

If the current focuser works ok I'd stick with it and wait til you can afford something like a Moonlite.

Its not a bad focuser - and to be honest I found it quite good having only ever used rather rackety old R&P focusers.

I recall haitch had either nothing or a cranky old focuser.

Ah yes, 'twas a cranky old thing. Push fit with no screws to hold the EP so risk of losing anything over a 20mm to the concrete floor below :) . The main reason I wanted to upgrade (apart from avoiding dropping EPs on the floor) was to go for 2" EPs with limited funding.

Have to say at £60 it doesn't sound so much of a bargain as Astrobaby's was. :)

A different part of the planet (but still on Earth!!!:)) and for (possibly) different reasons but with all the aforementioned provisos re focus attainablity etc.....a good crayford-style 10:1 focusser can be a significant improvement.

Not sure about the quality/build of the S/W job though - on my venerable old Long Tom 6" refractor the R&P unit was hardly first-class (he was a S/W) which would have me checking any other unit carefully!

Don't know if GSO (Guan Sheng Optics) gear is available over your way (or rather, whether it's branded as such.....) but I found converting to one of their crayford-style 10:1 units was a big improvement - but as I imaged with that scope up till recently, minimal image-shift and ultra-fine focus control were paramount to my needs therein.....

The build quality was vastly superior as said - however, depending on your needs etc it may well be something that is best left for now as opposed to other gear....!:)

I think at £60 I'd hold off myself unless the existing focuser was really bad news. Even then I think I'd just bite the bullet and get a Moonlite.

Its not just for the focusing - though a 10:1 focuser is good news but its the collimation where you really notice a difference. The total absence of 'slop' makes collimation much more precise and removes all the uncertainties.

Advice here - DONT go to Star Parties. Last year I went to Salisbury and saw Astronuts scope with a Moonlite and immediately listed it as a MUST HAVE.

Archived