SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Al Sufi's Coathanger in Vulpecula

Deneb

Hi

Originally discovered by a Persian Astronomer Al Sufi the Coathanger Cluster lies within Vulpecula bordering near the constellation of Sagitta.

The image was taken with my WO66SD w/ a WO 0.8x FF & a 450D. 6x Flats, 15x 1Min Subs @ ISO400.

TheCoathangerCluster-AlSufi_WO66SD.jpg

then cropped :

TheCoathangerCluster-AlSufi_WO66SD_.jpg

mmm not to sound rude, but I think the pic has become a bit too black & it it does not look that good either, well the pic was adjusted with GXterminator in PS before anyway & processed in DSS.

mmm not to sound rude, but I think the pic has become a bit too black & it it does not look that good either, well the pic was adjusted with GXterminator in PS before anyway & processed in DSS.

That's ok, after all though the sky is black, not grey :) But its your photo and totally down to your own preference. Its a nice picture either way.

I would say somewhere between the two would be right. It can be difficult to set this right as it will look different on everyone's own monitor depnding on whether it has been calibrated or not. Geko if you set the black point too high as you have done you will loose detail in especially on nebula or galaxy shots.

Regards

I would say somewhere between the two would be right. It can be difficult to set this right as it will look different on everyone's own monitor depnding on whether it has been calibrated or not. Geko if you set the black point too high as you have done you will loose deatil in especially on nebula or galaxy shots.

Regards

I know yeh, for star shots i usually go into levels panel on CS and choose the black picker and click on what i think should be black, but your right, for neb/ galaxies it has to be done manually or you lose allot of detail.

.... the sky is black, not grey.

If only! Or in my case, black, not orange.

I'd go with Kevin, and set the black point somewhere between the two pics. It is actually pretty representative of the skies at the moment, never really getting dark.

Nice star colours Deneb, and a nicely composed shot.

TJ

Actually, one trick that might work on this one, if you take a look at the darkened pic as it is highlighted in that one, I see lots of blue 'noise'. If you select that particular colour, desaturate and darken it a bit until it blends, the background can become a lot smoother. I used to have to do this for the red channel on my dslrs quite a bit, they always had plenty of noise. I think it is the replace colour tool in PS that I use for this.

Archived