Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 GOTO vs CG-5 GOTO

rikyuu

hi,

I'm after a few opinions please. I may have the chance of moving to a darker site (touch wood (no, not Torch Wood!)) and hence moving into longer exposure, guided imaging.

I've been looking at these two mounts and on face value, it seems the CG-5 GOTO is very good value ie. £449 including a fast F/5 6" Newt, yet the EQ5 GOTO alone is £470.

However, I've read that the CG-5 can be very noisy when slewing during a GOTO operation, which could annoy the neighbours in a rural setting.

Is the EQ5 GOTO significantly quieter when slewing?

The CG-5 also seems to have a higher weight capability ie, up to a 10" Newt. Hence it could easily cope with my C80-ED and Mak127, but the EQ5 could be near its limit with just one scope.

Are there any other advantages to either mount ot justify either the higher cost of the EQ5 or the noisier CG-5? Plus any other opinions please.

Many thanks

The big advantage that the CG-5 has is the software, better alignment options and a bigger object database and a heavier duty tripod with 2" legs. The CG-5 is only noisy when slewing at high speed, when tracking it is silent. The CG-5 is normally the more expensive mount, look at the price of buying it on it's own. The special offer while it lasts on buying the CG-5 GOTO with the CN-6 OTA puts the EQ-5 right out of the running.

The All Star Polar Alignment of the CG-5 is such a major step forward as you can do a proper polar alignment with any bright star. You no longer need a polar alignment scope at all as you do with an EQ-5 and therefore no need to crouch down and sight through the polar alignment scope to align the mount on Polaris.

So right now it's no contest, the CG-5 wins by a mile. Of course you could always pay more for the EQ-5 with less features and a lighter duty tripod if you want.

John

The polar scope comes included within the EQ5 Goto mount, at least mine did, I was going to go for the CG5 mount myself but found out the motors sounded like a coffee grinder, I have found my EQ5 Goto Mount quite adequate for my requirements inc. unguided Imaging.

Have you thought about buying something like a non goto, the HEQ5 /EQ6 mount as they can handle a better load you might find you want to upgrade your scopes in the future, then you have a mount which is able to take the extra weight.

I have the CG5 goto and I can't use the goto at this time of year as the noise while slewing would annoy the neighbours. As much as I like the sturdy tripod and the software, I would like a quieter system that I could use all year round.

hmm, it's a tricky decision. The CG-5 is excellent value with the scope included, and has good capacity, but the noise really concerns me. Can anyone say if it's a similar volume to a Celestron SLT mount for example (which is quite noisy too). I wonder if some sound proofing material around the motor housings would help?

If I do get one, it definately has to be a GOTO. I was considering a scond hand HEQ5 pro, if I could find one, but I'm always a bit nervous about laying out so much money for a second hand item, which is quite difficult to immediately assess for performance, patiularly with the couldy night we have and all the other variables involved in assessing it's working correctly.

Thanks for your comments, more are certainly welcome.

I have two CG5 mounts at present. One with and one without "GoTo."

The CG5 is an excellent piece of kit - but the "GoTo" is very, very noisy. Great shame, as it does track lovely and quietly.

Because of the noise, I find myself using the non "GoTo" version more.

I've had the HEQ5 motordriven mount, and I prefer the CG5, as it does seem the more sturdy mount.

Regards.

philsail1

Archived