NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars

I'm off to Montana this year, so hopefully big skies and no lights. I am tempted to take a pair of monster bins with me, for the scenery but also for the sky.

Ive come across these Celestron ones Celestron SkyMaster 25-125x80 Zoom Binocular for under 200 quid, which seem, on the face of it, to be rather good. But on the basis that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, I thought I'd ask.

David

Hello David,

Take care when considering any "Zoom" binocular. They tend to have very small fields of view for Astro work.

It can be very difficult to come to compromise when one is considering binoculars for Astro use. You can either have a small magnification (say 8x40) which will give a very pleasing bright, and wide field view, or a large power (20x80) that will show you more detail in objects, but will have a narrower field of view, and will need to have a tripod to support them.

"Zoom" binoculars try to meet all criteria!

I think you should seek a bit more advice before buying - especially as £200 is a lot of money, for which you could obtain a really good pair of Binoculars for Astro use.

Try putting your post in the "Observing with Binoculars" section of SGL as well - you may get some more replies too!

Best wishes,

philsail1

This sort of subject keeps coming up....

1. How are you supposed to hold a pair of binoculars at x125, or even x25 for that matter? A really solid tripod is a necessity

2. x125 is too much for 80mm, even if perfect. And they won't be.

3. I know quite a few people who've bought zoom binoculars, none that have thought them good value for money.

Either get a decent spotting scope (there are some around with specifications like 20-60x80) and a decent tripod to go with it, or downsize to 10x50 binoculars, spend the same amount of money & get good quality. Personally I wouldn't want to cart 80mm binoculars around on a sightseeing trip anyway.

Thanks guys for the info.

yes, the tripod thing had occured to me, but its funny how one can sell oneself anything givenm enough time..."sure I could hold them..."

I may just live with the 300mm camera lens!

david

If you are in Montana for a length of time could you order a pair in the States and get them delivered? You might find that they are cheaper.

I had 25X100s before and found that they easily sit on a Manfrotto tripod and head, if you have one for your photography.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

25x100 bins are really weighty monsters(4-5kg?), you'll be chained to a tripod unless you have been doing weights a lot! A spotting scope could be an alternative, maybe a William optics 66mm refractor, nice and compact. 15x70 bins are a fairly cheap 'tripod free' alternative and good for daytime use too, though they'll show some noticeable false colour.

I envy you if you get some REALLY dark skies!

All the best

PEterW

Archived