Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will this work...... Large load on A NEQ6 Pro

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It neatly summarised the main points, without any chaff, which is why it is on the wall. His Sony 285 post crystallised my understanding of that sensor and was largely, together with a conversation with SteveL, behind my reason for buying a SXVF-H9 Mono and FLO then becoming a Starlight Xpress stockist :)

This thread has ceratinly covered some ground!

It neatly summarised the main points, without any chaff, which is why it is on the wall. His Sony 285 post crystallised my understanding of that sensor and was largely, together with a conversation with SteveL, behind my reason for buying a SXVF-H9 Mono and FLO then becoming a Starlight Xpress stockist :)

This thread has ceratinly covered some ground!

I'll send you a picture of me to put along side it :):headbang:

No, it won't work for imaging, but you've already come to that conclusion I believe.

I had a much beefier mount than this, the Celestron CGE, which is rated to 60lbs, and had 52lbs of scope etc on it. It was a PITA to get it tracking consistently well, and with that payload, balance was critical, and it had to be rebalanced depending where it was pointing.

Re. 12 inch scopes, a 12 inch scope will be perfectly fine in this country....I've looked through plenty and loads of people use them and have no complaints.

Re. 10 inch being the optimal scope for our conditions...well, it's true that convection cells here are about 10 inches in diameter, but with a 10 inch scope, are you going to be in line all the way to the top of the atmosphere, only looking through complete cells, or are they going to be scattered across your FOV?....of course they are!

I had my big 14 inch scope for quite a while, and it was affected more by bad seeing than a smaller scope, but lots of the time it was fine, and I have many shots with this scope in my album.

People like Damian Peach use 14 inch SCT's for planetary and lunar imaging, and I think he knows what he's doing. :)

My current mount has a maximum capacity of 140lbs, and is currently carrying 52lbs. I will be buying a large aperture scope again at some stage, but wouldn't consider adding it onto the load that's already on there....if I plan to use it, I will remove my other scope first and keep the load on the mount nice and low so it has no trouble tracking and guiding accurately.

Cheers

Rob

No, it won't work for imaging, but you've already come to that conclusion I believe.

etc etc

Cheers

Rob

Many thanks Rob. I have taken on board the advice by others and yourself and it is a no goer, unless I do as you and remove scope and replace with the other.

As to which scope to get. Well if I see a Explorer 300P for a decent price I will have it around Christmas. Other wise a 200 - 250 might be the order.

Depends on price and availability and how much I want to spend.

Many thanks all, seems like all the questions have been answered, the main one being, DON'T OVERLOAD the NEQ6 :)

Now this is WHAT MAKES A FORUM. People sharing all thier knowledge to help newbies who hopefully in time will do the same :headbang:

I'm sure I read an interview with Damien Peach where he recommends a 9,25 SCT for planetary imaging in the UK because of the conditions. I think it may have been on the DVD he brought out a while back....

Gaz, I've not seen the interview but I'm sure you're right. :headbang:.

Undoubtedly, smaller scopes are less affected by poor seeing.

Lugging a 14 inch SCT and mount to Barbados????

Cheaper to just leave one there I would have thought!

Hmmm...buys scope, leaves it in exotic country....wonder if Mrs H will go for that one? ....sound of frying pan hitting back of head !! :):D:D

I can only speak from my own experience of using large aperture, and it worked out fine for me over 2 1/2 years.

When I can afford it, I'll be buying a 14"ACF to add to my imaging rig....when conditions are up to it, aperture rules.

Cheers

Rob

Cantantonia, the 2 refractors together will be superb.

If your purely imaging you will never use the SW300, I have the SW250 and the ED80 and for the last 2 years the SW250 has just become a huge guidscope.

When funds permit I'll be going ED80 + ED120

If your purely imaging you will never use the SW300, I have the SW250 and the ED80 and for the last 2 years the SW250 has just become a huge guidscope.

When funds permit I'll be going ED80 + ED120

cheers mate, good to here real life experiences in black and white like that.

Might have to think of another crimbo present :)

Archived