Star party M101 - hard work

MartinB

Clear night, dark sky and over 50x90 sec subs with ED80 and 0.5 focal reducer. I have found this the most challenging of all objects so far to sort out in the processing. So 2 images - the first is straight from maxim with no tweaking, the second is doing everything I can processing. After a lot of work I can't be objective any more. Would be grateful for feedback

image.jpg

image.jpg

The processed one is certainly showing good detail, and I know what you mean about not being subjective. there is nowt wrong with it.

I sometimes find it difficult to let an image go, never being satisfied, whilst others tell me it's fine

naz

Just looked at Arthur's image as well. It's a nasty thing to get this M101, I can't get close to you guys but I blame the sky.

First image needs dark frames taking off before stacking, but you knew that. Second one has the faint bits missing, but you knew that as well .

End of feedback.

Very nice images, the main bit is that you captured the thing very well so hats off to you there. 50 subs sounds like lots, maybe you have to cull them on merit?

To make you feel better I might post my version tomorrow if I can get it to look like M101.

Still like looking at it.

Captain Chaos

Hi Martin , Ok i prefer the first image , i find the second one pushed a wee bit to far , i can see this being used to the Atik , as CC says the first one just needs some flats or dark frames, i never used thoses as i always managed to get over that by some means lol ,

Cheers

Rog

Thanks for that. One of the problems I am having is with monitors. If I process using my laptop the image looks awful on the desktop and vice versa. My work monitor is about right. Trouble is I can't tweak the monitors any more to get them right. Think CRTs are probably much better for this work.

I agree that the 1st is better but will have another go at tidying it. The hot pixels are easy to deal with without dark frames, in fact I gather that Maxim is able to sort them out if you know the buttons to press. A more delicate and skilled hand at the processing then, will get rid of those bloated stars as well.

At least the data is there :D

Ok, had another bash and having decided on a much more gentle approach. Have learnt a lot about levels, curves, colour selector tools and gradient removal.

No forget that. just posted and still looks awful so taken it off. aggghhhh

hi Martin

Just had a quick play. Flattenend your background and messed a little with the levels, then dropped my RGB on top - what do you think now then? As has been said, the detailed data is definitely there :D

Arthur

PS - pic deleted 'cos Rog's L rework was better than mine (even if it *does* have spikes)... see later post! :roll:

Sat on my hands here :D

Think CRTs are probably much better for this work.

Yes, they are.

It also helps if it has been hardware calibrated with something like a ColorVision Spyder.

:shock: :shock: :shock: That reprocess is a belter Rog. Bit confused now though. Whose luminence is the colour jobby Arthur?

Can't match your effort Rog but I've improved on my previous offering a little.

image.jpg

Still gobsmacked by what you've done Roger.  All that from a jpeg as well!!!  I'm so chuffed that my image had all that in it.  I thought it should be ok the amount of exposure I had given it and the sky quality.  I was really disappointed with what I managed to pull out but you've redressed that.  I am learning quite quickly on the processing but still a long way to go.

Got it now A - you added the colour to R's edit. Neat work on matching the image scale, the colour looks great. I like these combined efforts!!

Got it now A - you added the colour to R's edit. Neat work on matching the image scale, the colour looks great. I like these combined efforts!!

yup - and scaling is simple with Maxim too :D Remember though that the luminance is the important bit, it supplies the detail. Many imagers apparently catch luminance frames unbinned then get the RGB from 2x2 binned frames as it does not need to have so much structure. yours was a nice image :D

Arthur

Archived