NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunspot today

Kaptain Klevtsov

For todays picture I used the colour webcam and discovered that it's nowhere near as sensitive as the SC3. The comparison could not be done as the Ha filter just made it all black.

Anyway, here's the pic. I did with Baader solar filter plus solar continuum filter. OMC140 prime focus 55 seconds Registaxed.

image.jpg

Captain Chaos

Hi chubster.

I need to put you straight ASAP on the solar filter subject.

When using solar filters of ANY kind they must be on the FRONT of the scope.

You do get filters that fit on the eyepiece end but they would only be to compliment

the one on the FRONT of the scope.

(DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE YOU WILL ONLY GET ONE CHANCE)

It will be safe to look at the sun if the filter is connected to the scope properly

and the filter has no defects.

Using the Baader solar filter type you would only see a white disc and any sun spots that were

around at the time of viewing. (cost to make about 20 quid).

HA solar filters are a whole different ball game.

With these you can see mass ejections /filaments/sunspots/texture (cost from 400GBP to 6500GBP)

I wonder what type of filter you will go for hhmmmmmmmmmm . :sunny: 8) :D

My advice would be to try and look through someone's scope using a solar filter

with them giving you some instruction.(you will be able to tell if they know what they are doing

by the fact that they still have both eyes)

Try getting in contact with your nearest Astronomy Society they will sort you out ok.

Oh, gosh, no! Never use an eyepiece filter. You can buy filters for the objective end of the telescope, either made to go on, or in sheet form. I bought the latter, and taped it over my aperture mask. I was able to focus the sunspot using the 32mm ep (30x) and the 15mm, but the image was too dim for the 8mm, and the sunspot was singularly unimpressive IMHO. I may have to make a full aperture mask to really get the benefit.

Eyepiece filters have a nasty habit of heating up until they crack, letting full sunlight through, and rendering you blind. Not a good thing.

Just because it can't be said too many times, use a filter on the input end of the scope. With your Newt. you only need a small filter fitted onto the removable cap on the bin lid cover if you go for an expensive type filter. Otherwise use the Baader solar film and make something to ensure that it stays on.

The two bad things that can happen are eye damage if you get a glimpse of the sun through an unfiltered 'scope and also you can melt bits of your 'scope if you follow instructions that are on the 'net for projection viewing. This is where you aim the 'scope at the sun and let the eyepiece focus an image onto a piece of card. You will see pictures of this, but always with a small 'scope. Your big 'scope collects enough sunlight to run a lightbulb and the unfocussed part (especially when off target) will melt bits of the insides of your 'scope or the insides of your head. Both are bad. Think Boy Scout lighting a fire with a magnifying glass, then add the fact that your Newt. collects about 20 or 30 times as much light, then add the fact that the optics are at least twice as efficient. As they say over the pond, you do the math.

Also when you have finished solar viewing, make sure to move the 'scope so that it doesn't point at the sun before you take off the solar filter when you are packing it up.

I use the Orion Optics solar filter which is an optional extra and screws on the front of the 'scope. http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/OMC_Maksutovs.html plus both the Solar continuum filter or the Ha filter on the webcam nosepiece if I feel like it.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/filters.html for the film and filters.

The Baader film stuff is relatively cheap, comes in sheets and you can make the filter holder out of whatever you can get your hands on. Make sure that it can't come off.

Being of a nervous disposition, I volounteer the webcam to do the looking, as it doesn't mind (well it hasn't complained yet!) and is replaceable. The one time I did look through the EP was interesting enough to make me want to image it.

Final thing to point out, the webcam image moves about A LOT so the images posted are not as good as they could be but I haven't worked out how to do that properly yet. Also the colour images that get pointed at just don't happen with my stuff, so I'm doing something else wrong.

HTH

Captain Chaos

CC: If you're using a Baader filter on the mains and a photographic Ha filter at the camera, you're not seeing the detail in the color images, eg the PST because the bandwidth is much, much narrower on the PST. That's where all the cost comes from, whitling down the bandwidth to something under 1 angstrom. It's not you "doing something else wrong", it's your filter. imho.

Nice image CC, i had my first view through a Telescope of the Sun yesterday(Thanks Mark) and that appears to be the Sunspot i observed :D

James

PS:After seeing the Sun up close and personal i must get myself sorted with a filter just an awsome sight and new too :D

Archived