Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are my binoculars any good?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll set-up both at the Salisbury star party, then we will see. Will either of you be there?

Amanda - will you be there?

On of the consequences over the last few years of a decline in eyesight in my left eye (astigmatism) has been that I haven't been able to use binoculars :p - this has been part rectified by being able to try out lots at FLO :D , including some expensive bino's that I can really easily use with my glasses on so it looks like binocular astronomy will be back on the agenda for me :)

There's nothing to beat trying a few pairs out for comfort/ease of use etc, if you could make it to Salisbury we'll have a few with us.

James

I don't know enough to comment but the general opinion seems to be that the brain/ eye more than makes up for the larger apertures light getting split in two by the binoviewers over having 2 smaller objectives for each eye.
We're going way OT here but, as a variable star observer, I can tell you that fitting a bino viewer to a scope is a great way of losing about 0.6 mags in light grasp (limiting magnitude). Just about what you'd expect from halving the light collecting area, which is what you're doing, because the light from the single objective is divided between the eyepieces. Hopefully reasonably evenly and without significant loss....

Binoculars, or binocular viewers, may be more comfortable, which in some circumstances is more important than ultimate light transmission. But I see no stereo effect whatsoever with either bins or a bino viewer on astro subjects. What is noticeable when using bins on a relatively close terrestrial subject (birds, the flappy kind naturally) is that, by the time you get to as close as the bins will focus, you will have a fair collimation error - i.e. the fields of view of the two halves will not coincide properly. With really good "birding" bins you can overcome this to a fair extent by altering the interpupillary distance slightly; this means that you are using the bins uncollimated in he other sense, i.e. the axis you are using is not the centre of the lenses, so the quality of the off-axis performance becomes increasingly important. However it does intrigue me why birders are so reluctant to use a monocular or a spotting scope.

Sorry for the excursion.

Just to add to the binoculars v. binoviewers debate :) - I suspect that the two objectives of genuine binoculars will see different patterns of turbulence since they're directed along different lines of sight through the atmosphere, to get to the object. Hence they don't experience exactly the same 'twinkling' at the same time and the brain can somehow average out the differences and give you a more stable view. With a binoviewer of course, each eye sees a precise replica of what the other sees, in real time, along with all the disturbance. At least that's my guess, no doubt this has already been discussed in the 'pages and pages' of debate mentioned above...

Back to binoculars, well I use a pair of old-ish Nikon 10x50s, can't remember the exact model, they're my wife's actually but I'm constantly appropriating them for astronomy use. Should I be thinking of an upgrade myself?

It sounds as though your 10x50's see real action. Are you wanting to go higher quality or needing to go higher quality? I've got to agree that you really don't need to spend money if you are satisfied with the Summit's.

Glen.

Glen, I think I just want to go higher quality (in much the same way as I have perfectly good shoes but would buy Jimmy Choo if money allowed). I've seen a few DSOs over the past year with those binos and have had hours of fun staring at the milky way with them. I am satisfied with them... for now. I think once money allows, though, I will definitely buy better. I think they will do for now, as I really start to find my way around the sky, get to grips with the positions of things, all that malarky - but perhaps this time next year, I'll be looking for something higher quality to give me better quality observing. Really pleased your back is getting better too Glen :)

Steve - thanks so much for your honest response there, like I said, if they are carp I want to know, lol! As I said to Glen, I think I'll stick with them for now, perhaps another year, and then upgrade... perhaps SGL5 time next year? :)

James - No, unfortunately I won't be at Salisbury :( - I don't drive so can't get there, and have a few things planned over the summer (planned since before I even joined SGL back in Feb) so it is simply a case of a lack of 'dollar.' I have, however, made my partner promise to take us to SGL5 next year - he is actually looking forward to it. Perhaps I could persuade you and those at FLO to bring a lovely selection of high-quality binoculars that I could try out to the next SGL gathering? :) I can pay you with tea and biscuits for your troubles. Granted, the views through telescopes (even my 5" - goodness what its like through 12" dobs!) of DSOs, the planets, even our Moon are amazing...I think I'll always have a soft spot for the 'grab and go' side of binocular observing, it's great you have found a way back into binocular observing :D

Thank you everyone for your input on this.. I really don't mind people going off topic, makes for a more interesting thread :D and I'm really pleased this has created a lively discussion. With all the impressive scopes around it can be a little easy to forget about the good ol' binoculars - I won't be putting my 10x50s away just yet :D

Amanda :D:p:)

Hi Amanda,

Good for you. How do you resist temptation?:)

Apologies for going off topic,my fault. Perhaps a new thread on the subject. I suppose we could discuss bino-viewers in the bino forum.

Yeh, the back is improving thank you. You watch now,cloud and rain over the weekend. It was good to get out for a while last night.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

Archived