Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are my binoculars any good?

Hello :)

Even though I recently bought my first telescope, I'm still very much attached to my 10x50s. I use them regularly, and they have been invaluable for getting acquainted with the summer sky this year - I've always relied on the winter sky - constellations I am familiar with - to get me back into the astronomy swing. The binos give me a lovely wide FOV that allows me to sweep from star to star and become sure of the position of DSOs before I turn my scope on them - I was really surprised at the amount of detail I could see through the binos when looking at M13, for instance.

I can't help but notice the really wide range of binocular brands that seem to be in people's signatures, and I really do not know what brand is viewed as having good optics etc. Could anyone tell me if my Summit 10x50s are any good? In the future, when money allows, I'd really like to invest in something like this, with a mount, as an upgrade - but are my binos any good for now, are views through other brands of binos 'better'? For instance, Helios 10x50s, or Pentax?

Really want an honest opinion here guys - if they are rubbish then tell me please :D They were initially bought for bird watching, now that I've turned them to the night sky I want to know if they are doing as good a job as other binos with the same spec.

Thanks all :p

Amanda

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really want an honest opinion here guys - if they are rubbish then tell me please :) They were initially bought for bird watching, now that I've turned them to the night sky I want to know if they are doing as good a job as other binos with the same spec.

If you're enjoying using them, they're great. If they have pinpoint star images which remain sharp to the edge of the field & no false colour on bright objects they're just about perfect.

If they give you eye strain, there's something wrong with them - having the tubes pointing in slightly different directions is common.

Whatever you do, don't look through a set of high end bins like my Swarovski 10x50 SLCs unless your lottery numbers come up. You'll want a pair, and they are not cheap!

Haha, brianb, I can see 'bino fever' coming on just as quickly as 'aperture fever' now! I can't really remember how sharp images are, false colour etc - I'll have to take them out next time I'm out observing and test up against this. Really can't remember them giving me any eyestrain whatsoever - quite a few times I spent a good 5 hours sweeping across the sky last autumn, cuddled up on the garden recliner covered in about 5 blankets. :)

They look alright and as long as you're happy with them,then they are fine. I don't think you will find much difference between the ones you have mention and with the one that you have got. If you want to upgrade, go to a shop and try out the different models to find the one that suit you.

... but are my binos any good for now, are views through other brands of binos 'better'? For instance, Helios 10x50s, or Pentax?

Yes, binoculars like the Pentax, Opticron or Helios are noticeably better optically and mechanically than your Summit binocular.

Really want an honest opinion here guys - if they are rubbish then tell me please :) They were initially bought for bird watching, now that I've turned them to the night sky I want to know if they are doing as good a job as other binos with the same spec.
Astronomy is perhaps the most demanding application for a binocular so binoculars considered okay for daytime use often show their weaknesses when aimed at the night sky. It is probably best that you start with your Summit binocular then upgrade if/when you find them lacking.

HTH

Hello :)

Even though I recently bought my first telescope, I'm still very much attached to my 10x50s. I use them regularly, and they have been invaluable for getting acquainted with the summer sky this year - I've always relied on the winter sky - constellations I am familiar with - to get me back into the astronomy swing. The binos give me a lovely wide FOV that allows me to sweep from star to star and become sure of the position of DSOs before I turn my scope on them - I was really surprised at the amount of detail I could see through the binos when looking at M13, for instance.

I can't help but notice the really wide range of binocular brands that seem to be in people's signatures, and I really do not know what brand is viewed as having good optics etc. Could anyone tell me if my Summit 10x50s are any good? In the future, when money allows, I'd really like to invest in something like this, with a mount, as an upgrade - but are my binos any good for now, are views through other brands of binos 'better'? For instance, Helios 10x50s, or Pentax?

Really want an honest opinion here guys - if they are rubbish then tell me please :D They were initially bought for bird watching, now that I've turned them to the night sky I want to know if they are doing as good a job as other binos with the same spec.

Thanks all :p

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Aperture fever with binoculars,EXPENSIVE! :)

It sounds as though your 10x50's see real action. Are you wanting to go higher quality or needing to go higher quality? I've got to agree that you really don't need to spend money if you are satisfied with the Summit's.

As for pinpoint stars sharp to the edge of field and no CA... Got to get me some of those :)

The closest I've had to a 90%+ FOV is Pentax 20x60's I used to own. As for pinpoint stars and no CA,then I've had none and own none. Binoculars are somewhat of a compromise. Short focal lengths will always cause problems with CA,no matter how much you pay for the binoculars.

Everyones eyes are different. So it's a very personal thing choosing optics.

Hopefully later I can hobble out for the first time in weeks to get a little handheld observing in.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

The back is getting better. It was a close thing.

Going to try some handheld binocs later. Target for later is M31. It's not to high so no back strain.

BTW,still messing about with the Equinox 66 for a binoscope. What a cracking little scope you sold me :)

Glen.

I'll be very interested to know how you get on with your new setup Glen. I have often wondered how the views through a short-tube refractor fitted with a binoviewer compare to a binocular with similar magnification, aperture and quality.

I'm not sure Gaz. It is tricky though when comparing binoculars that appear to be the same as manufacturers often offer the same design with different grades of materials, coatings and manufacturing tolerances.

That'd be nice, but that isn't what I had in mind. I am wondering how the stereo 'effect' of a binoviewer fitted to a single scope compares to the 'true' stereo of a binocular with its two objectives.

That'd be nice, but that isn't what I had in mind. I am wondering how the stereo 'effect' of a binoviewer fitted to a single scope compares to the 'true' stereo of a binocular with its two objectives.

I can't see it making too much I(any?) difference TBH. Either way you do it at those distances you'll only get the illusion of a stereo effect, rather than the real thing.

Surely 2 objectives spaced 3 ft apart won't give a genuine stereo effect on an object 1000 light years away any more than 1 objective with binoviewers will......?

Yeh,I'm wondering about light loss. As far as I know bino-viewer prisms are not dielectric coated. I will be trying to use diagonal mirrors instead of prisms which are dielectric coated.

The stereo effect seems to be different in people. I have no problems with this. I do have a friend who just can't use binoculars but he's got no problem with bino-viewers :)

Glen.

You are probably right Gaz, it would explain why the binoviewers stereo effect is so convincing. Glen, I am also wondering about the difference in light gathering between the two setups. I have a feeling the way the eye-brain processes the image will have more influence than the physical differences between the two setups. One day I'll do a proper comparison.

The one that gets people worked up is whether 2 smaller objectives is better than 1 larger one with binoviewers....I've seen threads on that go on for pages and pages..:)

I'll set-up both at the Salisbury star party, then we will see. Will either of you be there?

I'm saying nothing :D

Glen.

I don't know enough to comment but the general opinion seems to be that the brain/ eye more than makes up for the larger apertures light getting split in two by the binoviewers over having 2 smaller objectives for each eye......:)

Archived