Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bluetooth connection to my EQ6 from my MacBook

James

Help....

A little while back I tried getting my EQ6 controlled from my laptop via bluetooth. It didn't work and I'm wondering if I've missed something really obvious so...

My Mac is already bluetooth enabled so I'm assuming there's nothing to be done on it other than pairing with any bluetooth device I may use.

For controlling the mount using Astroplanner/CdC/Equinox etc I usually use a USB to serial converter from Keyspan plugged into a USB port on the laptop and then plug the RS232 end of the cable that came with the mount into the Serial converter and the other (RJ11?) end into the handset. This usually allows applications on my laptop to control the mount.

To make this connection via bluetooth what exactly do I need? I've tried a Bluetooth to Serial adaptor this way:

Handset<<RJ11 to RS232 cable<<Bluetooth adaptor>>thin air >> my laptop but sadly the magic isn't there! I think the bluetooth adaptor is configured correctly (and it is paired with my laptop) but it just doesn't respond to any any attempt to connect from the laptop- at least I've tried virtually every option I can think off!

Am I setting it up right in attaching the Bluetooth to serial adaptor to the cable that goes into the handset?

Any ideas will be gratefully welcomed...

James

I think (In wondowz anyway) you need to create a Bluetooth virtual com port then set your applications to use that com port instead of the normal one you use for connection - If that makes sense?

I have a serial BT adapter and from what you are saying... and if yours is similar to mine... you have no power going to it. Mine has a power socket also - there's no power from the handset and very often - unless wired for it - no power from a serial socket either (and definitely not from the end you are working from).

Arthur

I used to run my LX90 via bluetooth and as Arthur has pointed out the Bluetooth Adapter will need a power supply which is not provided by the RS232 interface. There will be a seperate connector for the power on device.

Also have you configured the device by plugging it into the laptop directly. It will need setting to the baud rate that the mount expects and number of bits, stop bits and parity.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Arthur and Kevin - it's definitely powered through it's own power supply and I've configured it to the correct baud rate etc.

Craig - that's a good point but I've tried it by selecting the Bluetooth port to no avail.

Perhaps it's not a set up issue - maybe the adaptor is faulty? :icon_salut:

James

Lights yes, Hyperterminal (and the little program supplied) works with it and it's exactly the same adaptor as yours Arthur. I've tried the slide switch in both positions but it's possible I got frustrated enough that I didn't check everything properly in each position :icon_salut:

Which position should the switch be in?

The link LED is always flashing very fast and never seems to get to the slow flashing that would suggest it's linked properly.

James

Well, DTE = Data Terminal Equipment, DCE = Data Communications Equipment. DTE ends a com path whereas DCE provides one... that would seem to indicate you need it set to DCE, which is to the connector side.

Fast blinking is "discoverable" so it should be working? Try a locale search...

Arthur

PS - failing that, get a proper computer :icon_salut:

Are you able to plug the serial/bluetooth adaptor into your Mac? If so, set it up so you have a loopback on the Mac (i.e. hyperterminal 1->bluetooth->bluetooth/rs232->rs232/USB->USB->hyperterminal 2). If everything is set correctly, you should then be able to type in one hyperterminal window and see it echoed in the other. This would then prove the bluetooth bit.

Second thing is to then work out if you have the correct baud settings (I assume you do, as you control it from the PC anyway).

Third thing is flow control. It should be set to None.

Fourth is DCE/DTE. DTE devices usually transmit on pin connector number 2 and receive on pin connector number 3. DCE devices are just the opposite: pin connector number 2 receives and pin connector number 3 transmits the signals. The little throw switch on the connector should just swap pins 2 and 3...

HTH...

PS - failing that, get a proper computer :headbang:

:cool::D Cough, splutter....

I could try all this running Windows on my MacBook but figured I could avoid a whole set of potential problems... oops :D

I'll give things another try this evening and I'll also try arad85's suggestion and see what happens :)

Thank you for the help so far :icon_salut:

James

The reset button will set the beastie back to to defaults, but a thought... when you are checking with the Mac, are you using a serial port or a virtual one via the usb?

Arthur

It'll be a virtual port (I think) - it's the serial port set up by the Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor...

James

Ah - so not likely to be an issue with virtual ports being somewhere else, presumably you are connecting it to the same virtual usb port you tested it on plugged into the Mac?

Are we sure the adapter works via a usb>rs232 converter?

Mine's at the workshop and to be honest I had issues getting it up and running with Big Blue and the Argo Navis. If I can I'll get the wife to take me to get it and have a go myself at getting it to work with the WASP control

Arthur

Odder 'n' odder. Can't get mine to connect now! Got

(handset/RJ11>RS232>BT adapter) on COM4

(air)

WASP Control (tried both USB BT thing and BT Access Point)

Strange. Hyper Terminal straight in there, CdC nothing. Maybe this sort of program needs hard-wired ports only or something?

Arthur

The Bluetooth link should be totally transparent to the Planetarium program as if it was physically wired. You probably have already done this but look at the properties of the bluetooth device and find out which com port it is mapped to. In the planetarium application you will then need to select that com port number.

Regards

Kevin

Yeah, all done. Then done again. Then wiped out and step-by-stepped the manual. Like I said, odder'n'odder. Can connect with the PPC, not with the WASP Evo... just dropping Astromist onto the PPC and I'll go see if I can get the HEQ5 on it.

Arthur

If I plug the serial adapter (BT) into a serial port, I can only then talk to the serial port, not the adapter. So cannot get a loop-back initiated. Annoying me now, HT connects (the light sequence on the adapter changes from discoverable to connected) but I can;t get further. CdC connects the same (light sequence confirms) as it searches for the scope, but just reports no scope on COM4 (yes, it *is* COM4!). I have even run the gamut of all the COM ports available - both DCE and DTE as well. Not a peep.

Looks like I can't help after all James :)

Arthur

Looks like I can't help after all James :D

Arthur

Well, not to worry - at least I know I'm not alone... :)

I might get a chance to have a go with things here this afternnon/evening having been a good boy and done my chores (grass cutting...).

James

Archived