NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C6-S GT or TAKAHASHI FS-102 FLUORITE APO

Hi folks long time since I've been here but now require some sound advice, I have the chance of a Takahshi fs 102, would this give better views than my current celestron C6 sch/cass??? I think it would be crisper (better optic etc) any views would be great.:icon_salut:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very different animals, the Tak will be much easier to use for imaging but the SCT will almost certainly be better on all classes of object - except solar - used visually - provided it's properly collimated.

Contrast will be higher on the Tak as well as the physical aperture is not that much different once you take out the central obstruction on the sct.

all in all the the build quality of a tak is well worth the extra as well as it will hold its value as its a sort after scope with a flourite lens where as 6" sct's are 10 a penny :icon_salut:

the physical aperture is not that much different once you take out the central obstruction on the sct.

Actually, that's not quite true Steve. Central obstructions have virtually no effect on light gathering ability and resolution. A 6" 'frac will show as much as a 6" SCT/Mak/Newt although contrast will obviously be affected.

Tough choice betweent he two though, the SCT will show you more but what you'll see through the Tak would almost certainly be more more pleasing to the eye. And of course, owning a Tak instantly makes you cool 8).

Tony..

Taking the central obstruction into account the 6" SCT will be the same as a 114mm refractor in terms of planetary contrast.

The SCT will easily beat the Tak for light gathering.

The Tak will give a more pleasing view in terms of sharpness.

No collimation issues with the Tak and cool down will be faster.

The Tak will run out of fizz at about x240, the SCT should be good up to x300.

Tough choice, get the Tak and compare the two, keep the one you like the most.

This may help ....

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/refractors/Number/3149080/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I've had a few looks through a Tak FS102. It is certainly a class act on solar system targets. Looking at Saturn a couple of years ago Cassini was beautiful black and well defined. Contrast as expected was very good and the banding on the disc stood out very clearly. I think solar system will be the Taks forte. In fact it is a legendary solar system scope, one of the all time greats.

A 6" SCT will give a brighter view and in rock steady seeing you may be able to resolve finer detail particular looking at the moon but in most conditions you will probably prefer the views through the Tak. Details are easier to pick out because of the contrast. Views along the terminator will be superior in all but the most pristine seeing conditions. Add to this the fact that it is always collimated and has a lovely focuser and I think you have the winner.

A quality 4" apo is a a lifetime keeper of a scope. If you have the opportunity to buy an FS102 at a fair price that you could afford you would be an absolute numpkin not to get it. It is a beautiful scope. As Dweller says, what's the guys number?

Thanks everyone, looks like a little used C6-s is up for sale then, moving on a bit would the Taks performance go up if 2" diagnol and lenses were used, i know it would but would it be worth the investment, I'm in trouble with the wife as it is lol. Oh would I have trouble mounting the Tak on the CG-5 mount which is a great bit of equipment and rock steady?

If you are motivated by the prospect of owning one of the all time great 4" refractors then get the Tak. If your primary interest is outright optical performance then it's a closer call. The quicker cool down and lack of collimation issues with the refractor is a definate plus. The Tak OTA is quite heavy for a 4" refractor although an EQ5 / Super Polaris class mount should be adequate.

If the Tak is well priced and you have the readies why not give it a try ? - you should be able to sell it pretty easily if it does not suit you judging by the comments made here !.

John

We crossed posts !.

I reckon a 2" diagonal is worthwhile - the Tak is a class act and you don't want to introduce any weak links in the chain.

I think an EQ5 would be fine.

John

A CG-5 will be fine, don't rush out to buy 2" EPs though, I'm not convinced they will offer you much with this scope. A lot of the time you will be using fairly short focal length EPs which don't need the extra diameter. I'm sure it will deliver nice wide field low power views but that's not the forte of this scope. Don't rush out and by a set of Naglers though, you might not see the benefit. It has quite a high focal ratio so shouldn't be too demanding on EP optics.

Thank you so much everyone, its a pleasure reading all your comments and views. I'm only a novice so your experience means so much, if the deal comes off and he does part with it I'll be back and let you know the details and ask for more advice on swopping mounts etc, thanks again.

Thanks everyone, looks like a little used C6-s is up for sale then, moving on a bit would the Taks performance go up if 2" diagnol and lenses were used, i know it would but would it be worth the investment, I'm in trouble with the wife as it is lol. Oh would I have trouble mounting the Tak on the CG-5 mount which is a great bit of equipment and rock steady?

As mentioned previously, I would not bother with the 2" diagonal and eyepieces just at the moment. I've used 2" fittings on my scope, but never really noticed any better performance.

I have a Tak 102 and it gives very sharp views with a prism diagonal (£40). The scope also works very well with cheaper plossl eyepieces. My 7.5mm eyepiece only cost me £20, and it gives superb views with this scope.

I use mine on a Great Polaris = CG5 and it is solid.

Blimey dweller, that finder is way up the bracket:)

I do wish that Tak, would change the finder bracket on their scopes, the one on my Synta scope is a much better set-up.

Archived