Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Locations

Erm, well yes, I emigrated!

Seriously though Steve, your local astrosocs will have good locations that are known to them. I used to belong to WPAOG (Wirksworth, Derbys) before I came down here to Provence and they are are a welcoming group. I would suggest that cheap weekends in camping barns might be a good way forward. You could head in at least two directions from Brum.

Olly

Ah, Wales....

....the country must like me, as the weather is always clement when I cross the border...(I don't live far from Wales, just on the wrong side of the border, LOL)

My front garden, when the neighbours' lights are off, is pretty dark , although I will seek out higher altitudes a couple of months after midsummer to see how good it can get.

The best plan of action is to try the local Astronomical Society...thier hunting grounds are pretty dark and they can suggest some places....

Ah, Wales....

....the country must like me, as the weather is always clement when I cross the border...(I don't live far from Wales, just on the wrong side of the border, LOL)

My front garden, when the neighbours' lights are off, is pretty dark , although I will seek out higher altitudes a couple of months after midsummer to see how good it can get.

The best plan of action is to try the local Astronomical Society...thier hunting grounds are pretty dark and they can suggest some places....

Yeah, im looking at the Shropshire one, i know its not exactly a local club to me about 40mins away but they have the advantage of darker skys!

Not just because I'm Welsh born and bred... but because I've had the best viewing sessions here... I'd have to say Gower, West Wales. Really took my breath away, particularly the view from Llanmadoc, and I know Psychobilly has had some brilliant sights from Rhossili (think that was it Peter?)

Amanda

Lovely place the Gower Peninsular "ashenlight!"

I don't take my scope out of my backyard - just don't have the time. But there are some really good dark locations up a place called "Moel Famau" (Mother of Hills) just outside Mold. Last time I went up there in the dark was about fifteen years ago when my father was alive - I think I'd be a bit to scared to go up there by myself now - it's a dark and lonely place!).

philsail1

if u want to travel a bit and camping is your thing there are still some pitchs left at the dalby forest starfest in the north york moors national park in aug, see below for link to download form. here the skies are as dark as kelling and just about as dark as kielder. also there will be a field full of like minded people only too happy to help.

matt

well the location is in the great yorkshire forest (dalby forest) and there are some great bouldering stones in there, bridestones is the most famous (UKC Logbook - Bridestones (North Yorkshire)) take a look, there is also a massive mountain bike trail and center going on up there. its always a popular event with the yorkshire coast been so close and a lot of ppl bring their families up.

i would be happy to point u in the right direct if needed, both where to climb and under the stars if u can make it

matt

Archived