Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can anyone explain this?

tmarkuk

I was reviewing some of the pictures I took last week whilst imaging M27 and ran into this weird anomaly in one of the discarded frames:

tmarkuk-albums-deep-space-picture1832-wierd.jpg

I've no idea what it might be, obviously my mount was shifting a bit as you can tell from the star trails, but I've never had anything like this turn up before or since. There is no sign of it in the frames before or after.

It appears to be in focus, so my first thought of 'highly reflective bug' appears to be off. Does anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying me!

Tim.

OK, so what's this?

IMG_0965.jpg

Hint: It IS a genuine astronomical image!!!

One point for identifying the subject, one for working out how I took the image and one for guessing which filter I was using :icon_salut:

Edit: OK, no-one even hazarded a guess whilst I was in siesta mode.....

It's Arcturus - cropped section from a Canon 40D + 300mm f/2.8 lens, which I was focusing whilst hand holding, the shutter button fired (5 sec exposure), I just tried to hold the camera as steady as possible with no visual reference. There are actually parallel tracks of faint stars also just visible in the frame from which the star field can be made out. The strange colouration is given by the CLS filter fitted in the camera throat.

OK, so what's this?

IMG_0965.jpg

Hint: It IS a genuine astronomical image!!!

One point for identifying the subject, one for working out how I took the image and one for guessing which filter I was using :D

Incredible!! Can't wait to find out!! :icon_salut::cool: (in other words, I have no idea and am looking forward to the answer :headbang:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived