Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Limitations of Skywatcher 70mm/700 Refractor

Dante

Over the last copule of nights (clear skies :cool:) I have been out but I am somewhat disappointed. The Moon is great and I have enjoyed looking, Saturn was nice to see BUT tiny and very difficult to focus. Stars, well - they appear brighter certainly but that's all.

Is there more for me, and has anybody any pointers for me?

I.ve used my web cam on the moon its good but I would like to do so much more.

Danny

Hi Dante,

Have you bought Turn Left at Orion? As a beginner, it seemed quite expensive for a book, but it really is an invaluable tool for finding the best thing to look at. The book is very much geared towards 3-inch refractors like your own - don't let me put anyone else off there, it's a fantastic book for all telescope types and sizes. It really help you find the gems - after all, on their own, 95% or more of the stars you can see in small scopes a pretty boring.

Good Luck, James.

With 70 mm of aperture you are a little restricted but the big globs like M13, M5 and M3 shoulld look very good. You should still be able to see the Ring Neb M57 but it will be pretty small.

Hi Dante - I started out with a Tasco 60 mm refractor years ago so based on this I expect your 'scope to be a lot better that that one. Few objects to try out below based on my experience.

Jupiter is starting to become visable in the early Morning - look for the bands and the Moons plus the Great Red Spot.

M13 in Hercules is the best Globular Cluster visable from this Hemisphere and is visable at the moment. Your 'scope should start to resolve some of the stars in the outer regions.

M57 is a Planetary Nebula in the Constellation Lyra. Your 'scope should be able to make out the Ring Structure.

Plenty of Double Stars out there (Albireo in Cygnus for One - Nice colour contrast) and Epsilon Lyrae (A double double ie four start system!).

Open Clusters also resolve well in these 'scopes.

I think you may struggle with the fainter galaxies and Deep sky objects (I did!).

If you havn't got a Star Atlas yet - get one. Sky n Telescopess pocket sky atlas is perfect for star hopping to targets.

I'd also recommend a good book to get you started, "Turn Left at Orion". Not only does it give you pointers to 100 or so objects through out the year, it also gives you sketches of what the objects will look like in the eyepiece.

Look forward to hearing some reports from you in this forum soon!

Hope this helps.

Jarvo.

Hi

Thanks everyone. I have had a sneak preview of the book on Amazon - I shall get a copy. I suppose that practice, practice and more practice is the answer. When I have exhausted the scope or myself or both it will be time for an upgrade. ( NOTE: must get a bigger piggybank)

Danny

Hi All again, Getting better with the alignment process and started early (11:00pm onwards 3rd June) to look for all your suggestions. Some successes and maybe some failures (not sure about these).

First - Albireo nice to see, great separation and finally saw different colours. This egged me on.

Second - M3, M5, M13 and M57 These are doubtful, I think I saw something but they almost looked like smudges rather than something a bit more recognisable. Even a change of ep's did not improve things. If I get some more clear skies I'll have another go.

Third - Saturn Is it getting smaller? Previously I could get a clear image, small but clear. Focussing was a nightmare and I never did get it clear. Changing eyepieces didn't help either.

All in all I really enjoyed the session and I am very grateful for the guidance.

You're all stars:icon_salut:

With the exception of a couple of bright nebulae, colour contrast double stars are really the only way to get colours in deep sky objects. Another one you might want to try is Almach in Andromeda which is a nice Blue/Orange pair.

Not quite sure which diagonal you have but I had a Skywatcher Mercury 705 and found the supplied one (an erect 45 degree prism model IIRC) lost some light, a half decent mirror diagonal would help. Maybe some half decent plossl eyepieces might go some way to maximising what you have already.

If you're viewing Saturn as it's sinking towards the Western Horizon as it is now, you're probably having trouble focusing because you have more of our dirty atmosphere to contend with plus heat which ruins the image.

Tony..

Hi Tony

Cheers for the response. I shall have a go at Almach

The diagonals that I have are 1 x Mirror and 1 x Prism (not branded)

Eyepieces 1 x 9mm Plossl, 1 x 15mm Plossl, 1 x 20mm Plossll and 1 x 30mm Plossl

2 other EPs (Super) 10mm + 20mm (Wide Angle Long Eye Relief

2 x 2x Barlows 1 of which is Revelation

Plus 5 differing filters

and of course the invitable webcam SPC900NC (wtg mod).

The explanation for Saturn certainly sorts of the viewing there, though I must confess that I had suspected as much.

Danny

Danny, i think your views will get better in the next few weeks. Despite the Moon's low altitude, she's still been giving off a lot of light lately, which isn't the best scenario for deep sky. But i give you high marks for trying, it shows you've got determination and patience. :icon_salut:

Now that Luna's reached the full phase, she'll begin to wane and will rise later every night, too. What you can pull in regarding DSOs will still depend on your aperture, but those smudges will begin to stand out and be easier to see. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference. :cool:

Hi Talitha

Thanks for that

Tonight according to the weather man "clear and starry skies"

So, I'm out tonight - me, my scope, my laptop, my webcam and a lot of hope that I can do something good.

My main area for gazing is NW - W - SW and NE but I don't see all the sky from my garden plus I have 3 Street lamps almost falling on me :) and of course neighbours homes.

Any suggestions you have would be great (I'm just outside Wakefield)

Danny

Archived