Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 29.5.2009

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" FL1829mm F4.5

Crescent Moon visible to Midnight

Moderate wind

Seeing Mag 4.3

Started observing 22.35.

I seem to be revisiting alot of my old targets now. We must be having more clear nights then I remember so unless I observe something different in the revisited object I'm just going to make a note that it was observed.

I started the night wanting to view some planatary nebulas so I headed for Hercules and NGC6210, In my 21mm at x87 it appeared as a very small blue disc 0.3x0.2 in size, difficult to tell the difference from a star until higher magnification is used, very bright, no structure visible. Placing in my 8mm Hyperion did not show any more detail but appeared more green in colour. A very nice planetary which I'm glad I've observed.

I then swung over to Cygnus and another panetary nebula NGC6826, this nebula lies within a very rich and stunning star field, the nebula is very small at 0.4x0.4 in size. In 21mm at x87 the nebula appeared as a non stellar disk. The central star of NGC6826 can easily be seen and what can be described as a blue halo surrounding the star is visible.

Over to Cephus for another planetary nebula NGC7139 I spent 10 minutes looking for this little nebula but to no avail I then looked at the data on Cartes du Ceil and it states a surface brightness of mag 13.9 so no wonder I failed.

But this could not be said about my next target NGC 7354 a planetary nebula in Cephus. This one shines at Mag 10.1 and is small in size at 0.4x0.3. Once again I couldn't locate this nebula. This one will have to wait till I get some filters.

By now I couldn't resist a peep at the Ring Nebula M57 in Lyra and I'm glad I did. I was greeted by the best view I've ever had. The ring donut was so clearly visible and by using the 8mm at x 228 I could even glimpse the central star with averted vision, it was extremely dim but during periods of steady atmosphere the mag13 star popped in and out.

I then looked at the M27 just to say fantastic as ever.

Next over to Saggita to find M71, it appeared as a small rather dim globular cluster. No stars were resolved in the 21mm Hyperion but by increasing the magnification by using the 8mm Hyperion the outer stars were resolved. This globular is located about 11,700 light-years from Earth and has a diameter of only 25 light-years.

This makes it one of the smallest known globular clusters. Recent findings suggest that the size may actually be 90 light-years, but it is uncertain at this point how many of the surrounding stars are actually part of the cluster. I personally would list this as a open cluster with a tight core but then I'm no Charles Messier.

Over to Cygnus again this time to track down NGC7026 a very small but bright planetary nebula slightly green in colour. I could detect no central star but the nebula shines at a bright 8.2 mag. I could just make out a oval shape to the nebula but this was very hazy and undefined.

I then just started to observe some of my well visited delights namely....

M81 & M82 tonight they were so bright and the contrast was amazing. I couldn't believe how bright the cores were.

M13

M5

Finished the night of at 00.55.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again a nice report Doc, I feel also like a hunter when looking for new challenging targets :).

How can you start observing so early these days ? At my place it's not even close to dark before midnight. Nex time I will also try NGC7354, makes me wonder if I can find it.

Following your previous reports, I could find NGC6210 as well, it is an easy target even on my heavily light polluted sky if you found it once. I can confirm that M71 is faint even with the 16" LB ( also very low though ), I was happy to see it the first time yesterday night :cool:. Another "first timer" for me was M107, much more easy to locate.

Doc, did you manage to observe the Silver Needle ( NGC4244 ) from your location ? I cannot find it, maybe gets lost in the yellow sky glow here...

Thanks Jarbi.

I have tried with NGC4244 a few times but it has a brightness magnitude of 14 which will require pretty dark skies to see and by going by past experience my limiting mag is about mag13.

Another great write up Mick, and what a huge number of objects to add to my list!:cool:

Sam

Thanks Sam. Cannot wait till I get my O111 filter there's so many faint planetaries I want to view.

Great report Mick and some very interesting objects crossed off. Also, from what I gather from some of them, you have a reasonable view of the northern hemisphere ? Good bag of planeteries. Very tempting (say's he with scope all set up).

Deffo after M27. Could you see any colour ?

Cheers

Great report Mick! :cool: How long till you get the O-III, is it on order?

Will be getting it for fathers day which is in the 21st June a prezzie form my lovely kids :icon_salut:

Great report as usual Mick.

Chomping at the bit to get my LB16. Took the deposit up yesterday and Dave is holding it for me till next pay day!!

It is an awesome bit of kit. Can't wait :icon_salut:

John

Great report as usual Mick.

Chomping at the bit to get my LB16. Took the deposit up yesterday and Dave is holding it for me till next pay day!!

It is an awesome bit of kit. Can't wait :icon_salut:

John

Where did you get it from John?

Is it all standard, no mods done yet.

Getting it from a chap in Stockport. It has the baseboard cut down to fit through doors. It is wieghted for great balance and the movements are really smooth. Homemade light shroud.

Was advertised an astro buy and sell last week.

Getting it from a chap in Stockport. It has the baseboard cut down to fit through doors. It is wieghted for great balance and the movements are really smooth. Homemade light shroud.

Was advertised an astro buy and sell last week.

Don't forget post some pics John. Sounds awesome would like to see the cut down baseboard.

I am having a complete unit built so as to accomadate it. I am also having a strut with a small table on for my notebook running stellarium and The Sky.

Been a dream for a long time. Just love the LB16. Bang for bucks it is hard to beat.

I am having a complete unit built so as to accomadate it. I am also having a strut with a small table on for my notebook running stellarium and The Sky.

Been a dream for a long time. Just love the LB16. Bang for bucks it is hard to beat.

I'm having a laptop table as well. Still in the planning stages but hopefully it will incorporate my eyepieces as well.

Yes thats the ticket, incorporate a small draw for the eyepieces etc.

Mind you i only have Plossols at the moment, thats got to change.

Never ends does it.:icon_salut:

Dawn is excited about the visual stuff, so the cheque book is open.

yeah I know the feeling money is a tad tight here as well but I'm getting one good eyepiece a year the missus says I can so I'm doing it.

On the list is the following.

26T5 nagler

17 Ethos

13 Ethos

8 Ethos

Must admit that i don't know much about the ins and outs of eyepieces. It will be interseting to do side by side comparisons.

Think we will have to visit the dark side when i get my hands on the scope.

Archived