Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any observing book recommendations for Messier objects?

So far my main guide to interesting DSOs has been "Turn Left at Orion". I have found this a really good book. I like the organisation and the diagrams at different scales that help you find the objects. Good as it is, I think I am ready to move on to something more comprehensive. Also it is clearly aimed at smaller telescopes as the whirpool galaxy only gets a 2/5 rating, but I was really impressed by the view through my 12".

Can anyone recommend a good observing guide to the Messier objects. Something that would help me locate the objects while observing would be useful.

I have seen the "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer" by R&B Thompson, "Deep Sky Observer's Guide" by Neil Bone, and "Deep Sky Companions: The Messier Objects" by James O'Meara all recommended. Any opinions on good books?

I have a great, and reasonably detailed Messier guide book as a PDF. It gives one page / Messier object and lists a few details.

Also, it's free ! - please drop me a PM and I can mail it to you.

Cheers

Or alternatively google "ultimate messier object log pdf" and follow any one of the links there :cool:

Thanks for the heads up - looks very useful.

I would heartily recommend "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer" as good all round guide. As the title says beginner to master, this will keep you occupied at the eyepiece for years, if you want to go hard core look at the Night Sky observers guides:

Night Sky Observer's Guide by George Kepple, Glenn Sanner, Jenni Kay amd Ian Cooper

Regards

Adrian

Not sure if you want a full reference or not but I found that the Wikipedia Messier Objects List pretty good.

It list the whole lot and gives a picture of each. Only basic information on where it is, as in which constellation.

There is a big Messier Objects book I have seen that appears very good but I forget the author(s). And say ingthet that title is Messier Objects isn't a great deal of help.

Wow! 7 replies. Thanks everyone!

The Ulitmate Messier Object Log looks really good value for money. I downloaded version 3.2 (link). There is also a Caldwell object list (link) and overlooked objects (link). That should keep me busy until I decide what book to get!

Archived