Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did I miss a good night?

Doc

Oh well had to please Swimbo tonight and make idle chat with her relatives. God was I itching to go outside but at least I had a good Saturdays observing.

Anyway we watched keanu Reeves in "The day the Earth stood still" on Bluray, what a film, I really enjoyed it.

The relatives have now gone but after 5 pints of Scrumpy Cider I feel like just going to bed.

Frustrating actually!!

Although I did the usual thing of retracing my "footsteps" of the discoveries I made the night before, everything seemed to be elusive tonight! EPs were clean, finderscope aligned, telescope collimated, starmap in hand...but it was one of those nights. Probably due to hyped-up desperation because it is going to be cloudy again tonight...haven't had this problem before, I normally find things wtihin a few minutes...

Got some good views of the ring neb with my 8" Dob, looking rather dapper in blue with a hint of green, was surprised at the lack of detail in the Whirlpool galaxy although averted vision could detect the slightest hint of dust lanes (don't tell me to get a bigger telescope)

Oh well, I just got lost in the Milky way until it was time to go in.

Banged my telescope outta collimation on the way back into the house...it was one of those nights........

Would I have preferred the idle company of relatives? No way!!! :cool:

Edit - the seeing was excellent - attested by looking at Saturn - the clearest so far and managed to see the south equatorial belt with X2 Barlow and 10mm EP and darn, those rings are getting thinner - can't wait until late 2010/early 2011...:)

Saturday night was reasonable, well until my lad decided to come home at 11.30pm and turn all the lights on thus killing my view of the leo Triplet. I went to bed early Sunday night, but woke up at 2am this morning and the sky here was wonderful. Sadly a depression is now on its way up from the South West so rain expected. I hate all this hoo haaa that the rain is good for my garden, so is my tap water, so give me clear skys and I will tap water the plants. If they die so what, at least I would have some viewing. Roll on winter.

I was up all night looking at a twinkly sky and a laptop...Got into bed as the sun came up..

I haven't done that in a long time...

No you didn't miss much!

Archived