Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aligning two scopes - Guide scope rings?

Macavity

Just wonder what solutions folks have used for the alignment of two scopes. Y'know the situation - Equatorial mount with dual mounting plate or (in MY case!) a Giro III dual Alt-Az mount. You need to get two scopes pointing in the "same direction". Specifically, I need to align my ST102 with my MAK127 on the other side!

With the Giro III, naturally, I have independent Altitude adjustment. But, using a system of standard rings, a rather untidy "shim" system for Azimuth. I had thought of using some (rather nice) guide scope rings. They fit a 4" scope, but I wonder whether they are "man enough" (intended) for the job of holding the weight of an ST102 + 2" diagonal + Hyperions!

Perhaps if I replace the plastic adjustment screws with M6 metal bolts? Find/Put some little "rubber feet" on them? I guess what I'm wondering: Is it "conventional" to trust a 4" scope + accessories to guide scope rings? I hate to be a "pioneer" in such things... :cool:

Or maybe a different/better method entirely? Not crucial, just brainstorming... :)

I use home-made guide rings from tube rings, just as Peter has suggested but a really neat way (platform) is from Bazza from A.S.I.G.N. Obs He's made the plans of a cool system available for personal use-can't find the link though, soz.

Karlo

Oh, now worries - Just one of my "How long is a piece of sting" things.

I'm always impressed e.g. how well "Dovetail clamps" (and bars) retain the setting. And retaining of the tube is perhaps key. Since my ST102's tube already has sundry "air holes" (LOL) I have pondered drilling small locational holes and getting someone to sharpen the guide-scope ring bolts to a fiendish POINT... :cool:

I'd have thought you'd be fine with guide rings. The ST102 is a light scope for its size, I've had a ZS80FD plus diagonal plus eyepieces - probably about the same weight or a bit heavier - mounted on Losmandy 12.5mm rings. Moreover, I've guided with that setup which is a lot less forgiving than visual. :cool:

Hello,

Just wonder what solutions folks have used for the alignment of two scopes. Y'know the situation - Equatorial mount with dual mounting plate or (in MY case!) a Giro III dual Alt-Az mount. You need to get two scopes pointing in the "same direction". Specifically, I need to align my ST102 with my MAK127 on the other side!

Here's what (or similar) most folks like me would use on a GEM: Tandem Guidescope Aiming Device

I'd give Robin a call if you have specific requirements for your set up. They're great on the phone, and very helpful in ensuring they sell you exactly what you need.

Hope that helps.,

Regards,

astro84

Yeah, might give 'em (Added: guidescope rings) another go! I can then move the scope back and forth a little more, removing the need for "nose weights" to balance the Hyperions etc. The more things you have "on-axis" the better - Otherwise balancing is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge? :cool:

Point (sic) taken re. poking holes in tubes with sharp objects! I did think of sticking strengthening washers to the OTA but, as with most ideas I start to need the services (and skills) of a fully equipped Workshop. :)

I have another solution - I rigidly mount both my scopes in the tandem dovetail bar with no guidescope rings (I found that that can cause flexsure)

To get a guidestar front n centre, I use a 2" to 1.25" offset adaptor (link here). This allows me to rotate the focuser (both my Williams Optics and Astro Professional have rotatable focusers) or just rotate the adaptor itself by loosening off the drawertube fingerbolt until I get a bright star where I want it. You could also use an Orion X-Y Guidestar finder, but those at 10x the cost of the offset 2" to 1.25" adaptor :cool:

Good luck with your setup!

Cheers,

Richie

Archived