Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 23.5.2009

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" 1829mm FL F4.5

No Moon

Skies Mag 4.2

Started observing 22.30.

My first port of call was the mighty M13 a incredibly famous Globular Cluster in Hercules. Have visited this many times before and every time I've been amazed by it's beauty. It is about 25,000 light-years from us, and has an impressive diameter of about 150 light-years.

Best view was with my 8mm Hyperion at x228 it gave me the feeling that I was submerged within the cluster. So many stars it was amazing.

Next I moved the scope over to Draco and found the Cats Eye Nebula NGC6543. This is a beautiful little planetary, easily found in my 25mm TAL at X73 I could see a little blue disk that looked non stellar. By replacing this with a 12.5mm Ortho at x146 the centre star becomes visible but you do loose some of the blue The little nebula lies approx 3000 light years away and has a brightness of mag 9.

While in Draco I tried to find the Galaxy NGC6503. It was not an easy task and I can not say I saw it but I did detect a slight mottling of the background with averted vision.

Next over to Cygnus and easily found NGC6826 the famous Blinking Nebula. It lies at a distance of approx 2200 light years and in my 21mm at x87 I could easily detect the blinking phenominum which increased towards the outer FOV. It was amazing that the nebula truly dissappeared if you stare directly at it. It is very small in size and had a blue tint to it's appearence.

Over to Cephus next and had a look at the Open cluster NGC6939 a large but extremely faint cluster approx 5500 light years away. I must have at least 50 stars and in my 21mm was barely resolved but by putting in the 8mm at x228 quite a few of these little mag 10 stars came apparent. A very satisfying open cluster.

By now Ophiuchus was getting higher so I turned my attention to a new one for me the Globular Cluster M14. This cluster is noticeably smaller than M10 and M12, but it contains a large number of variable stars, over 70 in all. This cluster has a diameter of about 55 light-years and lies about 23,000 light-years from Earth, and was the sight of a supernova in 1938. I tried numerous eyepieces but only the 8mm started to resolve any stars and this was only with averted vision.

Next I tracked down the M57 in Lyra, I've seen this so many times and is one of my favourites. It lies approx 5500 light years away and with my 21mm Hyperion the ring shape is clearly visible. No colour was detected but the shape and donut was very sharply defined against the black background. The central star at mag 13 once again eluded me.

While in Lyra I tracked down the globular Cluster M56. This was a hard object to find, as far as I could see with my 21mm hyperion it lacked any bright central core like most globulars have and is very small and dim. It has a diameter of only 60 light years and lies at a distance of 45000 light years from Earth. In my 8mm I could just start resolving a few of the outer stars but this was very tricky indeed.

Next was my favourites the Bodes M81 & M82 Galaxies in Ursa Major. Both galaxies were very bright tonight and the central cores were very evident. M81 was the very clearly defined and I would say the overall eliptical shape was visible. It shines at mag 7 and lies 12 million miles fron us. Was a fantastic sight in my 21mm

Hyperion. M82 was stunning I could easily make out the cigar shape galaxy and I swear even a little detail emerged with prolonged observing. Both this wonderful galaxies fitted into the same FOV of my 21mm Hyperion. Spent a good 20 minutes just staring at this duo.

Next over to Vulpecula and the mighty Dumbbell Nebula M27, it was the first planetary nebula to be discovered and lies approx 1250 light years away. It appeared as a large Circular shape cloud in the 21mm hyperion and little detail could be seen. But when I inserted the 8mm at x 228 the dumbbell shape emerged and I could clearly

See a couple of dark notches which I presume are defining the dumbbell. The central star shines at mag13 and was not observed.

Cassiopeia was now getting pretty high so spent at least 20 minutes just scanning around the open clusters that adorn cassiopeia. Then on Cartes du Ceil I spotted a lovely arc of clusters so went and investigated. I started off at the top of this arc with King21 then King12 and Havard 21 all these were little open clusters of dim stars approx mag 9 but made a fantastic arc of little dim white stars with the occasional yellow star as well. Next came NGC 7788 and in the fov NGC 7790 once again a small but very rich and faint open clusters with many stars maybe 40 were counted. To finish I swept pass Berk58 which was dimmer but larger.

Whille in the are I looked at the M52 an Open Cluster in cassiopeia this is a first for me and another messier ticked of the list. Sometimes called the Salt and Pepper cluster due to it's dense arrangement of stars. This cluster made a fantastic sight in my 21mm Hyperion it appears as small but well defined shape and the outer stars were reolved but it's core remained intact. I would say I saw maybe 30 stars and the core appeared rather mottled as if it had voids within. M52 is estimated to be 23 million years old.

While in the area I swept up a few more open clusters that were only 2 degrees away from M52 these were King19, NGC7510 and Mrk50. All were dim open clusters and seemed to merge into each other.

I finished the nights observing at 01.30 with two more Messier objects seen.

Thanks for another great report, Mick. :cool:

Did you notice the propeller in M13?

I noticed gaps within the core of M13 these looked like spokes of a wheel radiating out of the central core but the propeller didn't jump out at me. The above were seen using the 8mm hyperion.

Nice report Mick - I'm off hunting after some of these tonight - this time with the shroud.

did you use a nebula filter ? I don't have one yet, but will be looking.

Fact is, I am not entirely sure if I "qualify" to prepare an observing report, me being a newbie and all, but I think it's interesting how with the same scope, I went for entirely different objects.

PS - was it me or was it still light at midnight ? Me and my good lady wife were both in the garden and although there was no moon, we were looking at each other as if the sun had just set !

Cheers

The problem is Steve this time of year it takes ages to get really dark.

I've just read your report and it's a belter, please keep it up. As for a filter I have none but am getting a O111 for father's day so will keep you posted.

Archived