Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

05.20 Jupiter.

philsail1

I was up at 5.06am today (Sunday). Sky was perfectly clear. Sun rapidly rising. Jupiter rapidly fading into the background! (and skimming across the sky!).

Managed to get just two acceptable shots (from about 35) using my Canon A570IS Digicamera). Used my Orion Optics 8" (f4.50 Newtonian with a Meade 25mm Plossl. camera was set at 1/200th second, with aperture at f5.5. ASA was at 200. Picture quality was at its maximumu. I find that I need to "Zoom" the camera up to 16x (with the digital zoom) and re-focus the scope's focuser, as the focus setting for one's eye doesn't seem to work with the digicamera.

Jupiter was quite faint in the increasingly brightening dawn sky. (should have got up at 4.00am!).

Lastly, the first shot was taken with a "Contrast Boosting" Filter attached to front of eyepiece. Second shot was taken without.

I do think one needs darker skies to achieve any success with "afocal" photography.

Regards,

philsail1

post-13436-133877374054_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877374057_thumb.jpg

I "dips me lid" to you afocal masochists:icon_salut:.....and I think you're correct about too much daylight around, but the banding is evident on the disk and one can speculate about maybe a bit more "glow" from Jove and perhaps some more magnification than 36X really upping the results.....one to set your alarm earlier for now bro....!:cool::eek::)

Thanks "Doc."

I was up at 4.20am today. V.tired as didn't get to bed until 12.45pm Sat night!

Of course, even at 4.20am daylight was approaching fast. (felt like "Dracula" fearing the approaching daylight!).

Managed to set up the 8" C8 SCT and take about 25 single "Afocal" shots using various combinations of eyepieces and camera settings.

Just after 5.15am I whipped the SCT off mount and set up my Orion Optics 8" Newtonion. Took another 20 + shots.

After putting on "Picasa" and going through the 45 + shots, only 2 were really acceptable!

The clearest photo was through the SCT. (I could easily see four of Jupiter's moons through the scope, but they didn't come out on the photo!).

Camera:- Canon A570IS digicam. Setting:- Portrait, set at infinity. Aperture darkened by two stops. ASA speed 80. Eyepiece 18mm Celestron Orthoscopic.

Regards.

philsail1

post-13436-133877375585_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments gentlemen!

(Not sure whether the (slightly) improved photographic results equate with the mental and physical effort of getting one'self out of a snug bed so early "Kokatha man!").

philsail1

Archived