NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoviewer Eyepieces

Hi there

I'm hoping to pick up a William Optics binoviewer that comes with a pair of 20mm Swan eyepieces, can anyone recommend other pairs that I can get?

I currently own a 4" f/10 refractor and an 8" Newtonian with a focal length of 1000mm and my interests run from lunar to deep-sky observing, not so much planetary.

Before anyone shouts out Panoptics, the budget will not stretch that far, also I wear glasses so more eye relief is desired.

Any help will be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi there

I'm hoping to pick up a William Optics binoviewer that comes with a pair of 20mm Swan eyepieces, can anyone recommend other pairs that I can get?

I currently own a 4" f/10 refractor and an 8" Newtonian with a focal length of 1000mm and my interests run from lunar to deep-sky observing, not so much planetary.

Before anyone shouts out Panoptics, the budget will not stretch that far, also I wear glasses so more eye relief is desired.

Any help will be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks

Paul

Just to correct you, the WO binoviewer comes with a pair of 20mm WA eyepieces (66 degree), not SWAN's. However, I find them quite adequate for general viewing. I have to use a x2 nosepiece when using the viewer with my WO M90 (giving around x60)to reach focus and it is heavy. As to alternative eyepieces, I'm planning to acquire another 14mm Meade 5000 plossl as I think it's a great eyepiece for the money with good eyerelief and little distortion at short focal lengths, plus it's compact.

Just to correct you, the WO binoviewer comes with a pair of 20mm WA eyepieces (66 degree), not SWAN's

Ian King Imaging is advertising the binoviewer with 2X20mm Swans.

I have a Celestron 2X Barlow, if I buy a pair of eyepieces in the 30mm bracket, combined with the barlow will this give me four magnifications, eg., X10, X15, X20 & X30, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

You could try a TAL 3x Barlow with your bnoviewers. (It's a cheaper alternative at £40 ish to buying two more eyepieces).

Incidently I use a pair of 26mm GSO Plossls (either with or without a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow) with my "Astro Engineering" binoviewers.

I've just bought a TAL 3x Barlow (From FLO) but havn't had any clear nights to try it out with the binoveiwers yet! - I'll let you know how I get on.

I tried two Skywatcher 10mm eyepieces with the binoviewers, but I found the manification too great to make for easy viewing. The 26mm Plossls are the best.

Regards,

philsail1

Ian King Imaging is advertising the binoviewer with 2X20mm Swans.

I have a Celestron 2X Barlow, if I buy a pair of eyepieces in the 30mm bracket, combined with the barlow will this give me four magnifications, eg., X10, X15, X20 & X30, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Paul

20mm WA's according to Ian King's site William optics Accessories from Ian King Imaging

You are correct. If the focal length of the scope is 1000mm then a 30mm eyepiece will give a magnification of x33.33 Add a x2 barlow and you'll get x66.66 Add the WO x1.6 nosepiece and you'll get x53.28 without the separate barlow and x106.656 with. I need to use a x2 nosepiece on my WO binoviewers to achieve focus on my WO M90. I haven't tried it on a newt but I suspect with the relatively short backfocus newts have, you would need to use the nosepiece.

Ian King must have changed the page beetlejuice, because it definitely said Swans this afternoon.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up the info on the magnifications.

I see that Tom.Yates is selling a pair of 11mm Televue plossls, I guess the magnification would be too great, I think I'll look in the 30mm line.

How would wide abgle eyepieces work on the moon?

Paul

Refresh your browser's cache :)

Ian King must have changed the page beetlejuice, because it definitely said Swans this afternoon.

Don't worry Paul, it was a typo. I mentioned it to Ian when I spoke with him earlier today, he has updated the page on his website.

:cool:

Archived