Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afocal Forum?

Bigwings

I'd like to support this idea. I am still a relative newcomer to imaging, and I use a Canon Powershot (incidentally, Cloudy Nights has a lengthy thread just for that family of cameras). I don't have a DSLR or a laptop for running a CCD. It can be quite daunting to make afocal contributions to sections dominated by images produced with higher specification imaging kit. But I enjoy trying to image afocally, and have already learned a lot about using the various bits of processing software. So a dedicated afocal ideas/problems/results section would be welcome.

Allan

If you look at the unconventional section, you'll find most of the images there are observational sketches with modest kit and the mark I eyeball, camera phone pics, compact digital pics and the occasional remote-telescope image. With the exception of remote-images, the equipment used is not advanced at all.

A new board for afocal will likely be quite quiet as there aren't many images taken with this method. There's nothing worse than an empty board.

I would very much encourage images to be posted on SGL, whatever method is used :cool:

Andrew

Afocal imaging is a perfectly acceptable way to capture astro. subjects. In fact for hi. resolution lunar and planetary work, it is desirable to employ that method.

Although there has been great success with the hand held approach, it is best to attach the camera to your scope via a bracket where possible, for obvious reasons.

Ron.:cool:

Archived