Easy DSO targets for beginners using DSLR

Hi, 

I'd like to try astrophotography using my Nikon d7500 ( DX sensor) cheap tripod, no tracking, 18-35mm f2.8 sigma, 50mm f1.8 Nikon, 70-300 f 3.5-5.6 Nikon)  I'm looking for easy targets ( I'm aiming at Orion nebula, milky way, Andromeda galaxy- I know it needs lots of data) , to learn stacking technic, and software ( Sequator, Pix inside,Deep sky stacker, Siril, follow by whatever to include LR and PS), location is south-east UK with acces to semi decent darkish spots. Any tips are welcome and in the mean time between work and desperate house dad duties I'm going thru the forum.

On a fixed tripod you'll struggle with long exposure deep sky. You might get away with 5s exposures around 35mm (probably more like 18mm) on the likes of M31 Andromeda, m42 Orion nebula and m45 Pleiades (but at such a short focal length the targets will look small on camera), but you'll need to take a fair few hundred to thousands to get any deep details after stacking.

Milky way widefield you'd fare better.

You really need a tracking mount to get anywhere with deep sky AP. You can even DIY a barn door one for yourself at little cost.

Like you I'm also SE of UK, also with work and dad duties 😉. Now I'm back up to speed I'm using a scope with tracking, but to get back into the hobby I did some wide field of Cygnus & Milky Way a couple of months ago.

My D5500 Is a crop sensor whereas I think your D7500 is full frame. But I was using a fixed tripod, no tracking. With my 35mm prime lens I was fine with 15s exposures with no star trailing. With 18mm you could probably go longer (there's a formula somewhere to calculate max exposure length for a given focal length).

For me I felt 35mm was a bit too zoomed in, while 18mm was maybe a bit too zoomed out, but you can experiment.

Tracking will absolutely give you more, but you can still dip your toe in the water just with a DSLR on a fixed tripod (before deciding to remortgage your house and join the rest of us at the bottom of the slippery slope that is appropriate! 🤣)

If you want to start into astrophotography, but don't want to deplete your kids' education funds, you should look into 2nd hand star trackers. While fixed tripod AP is possible, a whole new world will open up once you have the possibility to track a target. With a short fl lens or telescope, you can still carry the whole rig, which will save set up time. If you mark where you set your tripod, you can even save time in polar alignment. (I used modified fence post anchors, which I pushed down into my lawn where the tripod legs should go.)

Just my € 0.02

• Like 1