Jupiter on 11/10/24 in excellent conditions

Barv

On morning of the 11th October I had some truly excellent conditions, with extremely stable air, which I believe was present along the whole South of the country. I was out from 2AM onwards in freezing conditions, and it was a struggle that I am finding increasingly difficult to do now as my years are creeping up. I was imaging Jupiter for most of the night, and I moved on to a very teeny Mars, later on in the session.

I made some vital settings adjustments on the new camera, and I am now getting more used to it.

I have never managed to image such resolving detail in Jupiter's GRS, neither have I been able to clearly resolve the poles of the planet as well as this. I only hope that I get some seeing like this nearer to the gas giant's opposition! 

no10-2024-10-11-0418_3-no1-Jupiter__limit000042-017071_lapl8_ap150_Drizzle15.png

no12-2024-10-11-0418_3-no1-Jupiter__limit000042-017071_lapl8_ap150_Drizzle15.jpeg

no12-2024-10-11-0418_3-no1-Jupiter__limit000042-017071_lapl8_ap150_Drizzle15.jpeg

Edited by Barv
  • Like 30

53 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

That looks an excellent image but seems to be badly effected by image compression artifacts (the text as well) which show up on my pc monitor. Have you got a png or jpeg version Harvey?

Hi Stuart

Sincere thanks for pointing this out. I had noticed when posting some of images in various places, that the quality seems to drop. I'm not sure, but I think the original one posted was a PNG file. I have posted a couple of different versions now, is this any different?

Thanks again

Harvey

1 hour ago, Barv said:

Hi Stuart

Sincere thanks for pointing this out. I had noticed when posting some of images in various places, that the quality seems to drop. I'm not sure, but I think the original one posted was a PNG file. I have posted a couple of different versions now, is this any different?

Thanks again

Harvey

Thanks Harvey thats very interesting. All the images are the same including everyone elses on here (just checked mine on the SGL album) Its seems SGL are heavily compressing image files.  Thats a shame because on a large pc monitor they look awful.  If you try and save an image off this forum it appears as a webpage image file rather than the original png or jpeg. 

I've just seen your Jupiter posted on the CN forum and that looks fine.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Harvey thats very interesting. All the images are the same including everyone elses on here (just checked mine on the SGL album) Its seems SGL are heavily compressing image files.  Thats a shame because on a large pc monitor they look awful.  If you try and save an image off this forum it appears as a webpage image file rather than the original png or jpeg. 

I've just seen your Jupiter posted on the CN forum and that looks fine.

I thought it was a bit weird Stuart, exactly the same image was posted up on CN, and it does look a lot better. As I mentioned, I have noticed this before when posting on here. As you say, it is a real shame. Cheers again for confirming my thoughts!

• Like 2

On 12/10/2024 at 20:38, PeterStudz said:

Great image!

I actually tried, several times, from my garden in Southampton. But it was simply too cloudy all night. So conditions certainly varied in the south! 

Cheers Peter. I know there were some clouds where you were, but I hear that conditions were very good apart from this

23 hours ago, geoflewis said:

That’s stunning Harvey. I think this is the best I’ve seen from you, such detail seen and superbly processed, so that it appears smooth and natural. Great job all round. 

Thanks Geof, for your comments. greatly appreciated! It was a painful marathon, but worth it! 😊

• Like 1

Stunning image Harvey. I was out the same night but I had my one and only USB3 cable fail on me putting the brakes on the session. This is inspiration for me to keep plugging away in hopes of excellent seeing.

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Stunning image Harvey. I was out the same night but I had my one and only USB3 cable fail on me putting the brakes on the session. This is inspiration for me to keep plugging away in hopes of excellent seeing.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your session, been there and  done that! Good seeing like this is like hens teeth here unfortunately! Keep plugging away at it though!

• Like 1