My mini roll off roof observatory

StaceStar

Just now, ST_Steve said:

Bituminous felt adhesive is good (something like Black Jack) but is a nightmare to apply particularly when the weather is cold…

Definitely, I remember my dad using this on our flat roof. He also used a silver paint at some point. Sadly he’s not around anymore for me to ask advice, but I’m giving it the best go I can 😁 and learning lots 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StaceStar said:

Definitely, I remember my dad using this on our flat roof. He also used a silver paint at some point. Sadly he’s not around anymore for me to ask advice, but I’m giving it the best go I can 😁 and learning lots 

I used this stuff when I built our garden office…. Works great but you really don’t wanna get it on your hands or clothes cos it won’t come off! 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-roof-gutter-sealant-black-310ml/67521

• Thanks 1

Just now, CraigT82 said:

I used this stuff when I built our garden office…. Works great but you really don’t wanna get it on your hands or clothes cos it won’t come off! 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-roof-gutter-sealant-black-310ml/67521

I’ll get some of that if the flashband doesn’t do the job 😁

• Like 1

Just now, StaceStar said:

I’ll get some of that if the flashband doesn’t do the job 

it never really sets - even when fully cured it’s flexible and quite tacky. So you’ll need to remember not to put anything on top of the roof that you don’t want to get stained! 

• Thanks 1

I’ll get some of that if the flashband doesn’t do the job 😁

You won’t need it, with the flashband fitted, it will be sound then…

Bet you can’t wait to get it done now, I know it was the single best thing I ever did, and made a world of difference to the enjoyment of the hobby…👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

You won’t need it, with the flashband fitted, it will be sound then…

Bet you can’t wait to get it done now, I know it was the single best thing I ever did, and made a world of difference to the enjoyment of the hobby…👍🏻

Honestly I can’t wait. It’s going to do me the world of good. I was on the verge of selling my kit because after a session carrying things about or being stuck in the mud with the tuff truck, my neck was just so painful 

Also just installed the flashband whilst it’s a bit warmer to help it stick down! 

IMG_1547.jpeg

• Like 2

Honestly I can’t wait. It’s going to do me the world of good. I was on the verge of selling my kit because after a session carrying things about or being stuck in the mud with the tuff truck, my neck was just so painful 

Also just installed the flashband whilst it’s a bit warmer to help it stick down! 

IMG_1547.jpeg

That will do the trick…👍🏻

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StaceStar said:

One including an air vent for airflow. I’ve got another 2 vents to fit too!

It;s a good move. I've found that a good flow of air through the obsy keeps everything nice & dry, and dries off any dew by the next morning. So much so that I don't have any heating or humidity control in mine. ;) 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Really….never come across that in 15 years of property developing…

Don’t want to derail the thread but any silicone sealant that is not neutral cure will react with felt (or any bituminous material).

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2024 at 10:44, ST_Steve said:

Bituminous felt adhesive is good (something like Black Jack) but is a nightmare to apply particularly when the weather is cold…

A blowtorch is your friend (or, if not careful- your worst enemy).

On 19/10/2024 at 14:38, StaceStar said:

IMG_1547.jpeg

What was your significant others response to the rolling pin abuse?

I found an old wallpaper join roller was perfect for flash tape fixing.