Image files download time

Downloading image files from the camera take a part of the time that can be used for exposures. I investigated how long this time is in some different situation. From the beginning only the Canon 6D DSLR camera but added today the Nikon D800. The last measurements done on a Raspberry Pi5 setup, at bottom of page 2.

Here are the setup and downloading time:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-canon6d-data-transfer/01-tutorial-canon6d-data-transfer.html

The Raspberry Pi5 together with the new 64 bit OS system makes it a lot faster.

Lars

Hi Lars

I have a Canon 6D.

Make a comparison with download times to a windows PC.

Downloads of CR2's to my Windows 7 laptop with EOS Utilities take 3 seconds.

I only made a quick read, but I think that sequential firing muddies the waters.

Take a 10 sec exposure, wait for it to download, pause, repeat.

Michael

At that time I used Windows I used the control software APT. It took about 9 seconds, can't use EOS utilities for astrophoto. It's a bit strange, when it download the files everything else is blocked on the machine during the download, it's lika there is no multitasking.

Lars

No I don't use EOS utilities for astronomy or anything else.

What I meant was, when APT or any other software download the files from the camera it block most of the other things going on in the computer. It behaived the same on my Linux setup until I moved over to KStars 64-bit.

Lars

When you said "can't use EOS utilities for astrophoto." I assumed you tried and failed because you tried to run it at the same time as APT.

I only use EOS Utilities for long exposure astro photography, no problems.

Michael

I saw this article and decided i wanted to try a quick test to see if there was a difference between using the EOS utility to shoot with or via ASCOM drivers for DSLR.  I have a copy of the SharpCap ASCOM DSLR solution which i found also works for my MaximDL software as well.  In both cases the download time from the camera was the same.  However i also tried this on two different PC's.  One has an Atom Processor in it since it is my ASUS Transformer tablet and my other was a desktop PC which i custom built with an AMD Ryzen 5800x CPU.  The desktop has a MUCH faster download rate, usually within 2-3 seconds whereas the tablet takes about 10 seconds to download.  Both were plugged into USB 2.0 ports and the cables were the Canon supplied ones.  So i am not sure the utility is really the issue it may simply be either the USB implementation or the processor that is the issue.  Sadly i only use the desktop to test things before i try them on the tablet since the desktop isn't mobile but the tablet is.  Guess i need to wait till i can afford a new laptop to get faster speeds.