Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 80ED focusing query

AlanB

Hi all,

managed to bag myself one of the 80EDs on offer from D Hinds :D and was just wondering before I get round to first light (otherwise known as fumbling about in the dark) if it will need any adapters etc. for use with my LVI Autoguider to achieve focus?

The LVI comes with a parafocal focusing lens, but if I don't use the supplied diagonal will that stop me from getting focus. :)

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received so I can get things ready and not be frustrated by lack of a missing widget or two.

Trying to get myself sorted for a bit of guided imaging... but it seems to be a completely different ball game from visual

Alan

I'm assuming you have the mounting rings etc to hang the ED80 on the side of the 200mm

Generally the diagonal is removed and a 50mm extension put in its place; this should get you close to focus.

I use a "clone" flip mirror on my ST80 guide scope; this allows you to visually set things up and "flip" over to the guide camera when everything is 100% ready...

Welcome to the Dark Side!!!!!

I've been looking at some form of dual mounting set-up - don't really fancy hanging the 80ED off the SW200 directly.

Therefore i believe the 80ED will use adjustable rings so allow me to pick good guide stars in the area.

Any advice as to dual mounts? The new Ambermille item looks really good, but maybe a little too complicated for my needs - but I suppose its almost future proof.

I also have a 'previously cherished' C5 SCT which i could use instead of the SW as i'm concerned that the HEQ5 won't be really be able to cope with the load :)

I made my own dual bar using a couple of the Vixen female adaptors ( Skies the Limit) and a piece of 10 x100 x300 Aluminium bar.

Works well with the 6" Cometracker and Genesis side by side on the HEQ5pro.

The C5 is a great little scope but at f10 probably a bit slow for guiding nowadays. Consider the ST80; short focus, lightweight and will give good sub-pixel guide capabilities....

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
"The LVI comes with a parafocal focusing lens"

Is it me, I really struggle with the LVI parafocal lens as in i find it hard to to actually see anything - is there a knack

John B

John,

I have had an LVI II for about 6 months now and have only had the patience to get it woking a couple of times

I have had an LVI II for about 6 months now and have only had the patience to get it working a couple of times. In fact I am just about to give up on it and buy a Lodestar. I never expected autoguiding to be easy but I am having similar problems to you, centring and focussing a guide start using the supplied lens I find a nightmare.

Have you had any breakthroughs? Has anyone answered your question directly?

In theory the LVI will work with the diagonal in place and it is certainly physically easier to set it up with the diagonal in place but I can never get it to calibrate with the diagonal in place.

I have achieved focus with an extension tube and the parafocal lens and marked the focus point on the focuser to try and make it easier subsequently but I usually give up cursing the thing after a (long) while and go back to 60 second exposures.

I have got it working a couple of times so I know it can work but it all seems far too hit and miss.

Hopefully you are having more success than me.

Advice from anyone much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived