Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First view of Saturn.... wow!!!

It's amazing the difference a bit of planning can do. After my first disappointing evening of viewing where the only thing I successfully viewed was the moon, I was extremely disappointed.

I posted on here and was given words of encouragement and a few pointers and viewing tips. Taking this on board my only aim yesterday evening was to view Saturn. The weather forecast was good so it was all systems go. Set my scope up good and early and finally got out to view about 10.30.

Using a good star chart I was able to locate Saturn fairly quickly and positioned the scope with no 'real' problems!! Still coming to grips with the mount workings.

The view I got completely blew me away. Saturn was clear, and I could make out the rings, albeit sideways and I think I spotted Titan, would that be the largest of Saturn's moons?

I must admit after my first disappointing evening I was pretty apprehensive about my new hobby but last night has totally convinced me... I'm hooked. Any beginner targets to look out for ?

Finally , how many of you have looked up at the skies and thought just how small we all are in comparison to what we are looking at....

Very humbling......

Speak soon.:)

RTB

Cool isnt it :) , and i bet that you will remember your first Saturn forever.

As for another target , why not try for a nice Globular ?. M13 is fairly easy to find and looks fantastic

Finally , how many of you have looked up at the skies and thought just how small we all are in comparation to what we are looking at....

Very humbling......

Speak soon.:)

RTB

probably all of us:) - just wait until you see a whole galaxy - now, that makes you feel really small

Well done in your first sighting of Saturn.

IMO planing is realy important, or you sit there sweeping the sky for something to show.

Use Stellarium or maps to write down what you want to see in your scope at least this way you have some sort of agenda.

My first night out a month or so back was highlighted by my managing to find saturn and marvel at it.

Now of course i'm looking for better and bigger and clearer views, where will it all end.....

I must also say that the first time i managed to get a half decent eyepiece on the moon it blew me away as well, the amount of detail was amazing. Just wish I could image as good as you can see through the EP, I suspect that might be a bit off.

Anyway, Saturn rocks and I suspect a lot of beginners like to look at it for those ring!!!

RTB, so glad you've had a good view of the ringed giant, that was the view that got me hooked :D

Talking about the moons... have you used this before?

SkyandTelescope.com - Planets - Saturn's Moons Javascript Utility (click on the read link in the centre of the page 'JavaScript Utility'

Pop in the details - date, time, etc., don't forget to select the right of view for your equipment at the bottom, and it will show you a little diagram of the positions of the moons in relation to the planet. Before I go out I often take a quick doodle of where Moons should be, makes it even more satisfying when you know what you are looking at :)

Amanda

Thanks for the link, I've had a quick look. Will make things handy next time!! Was hoping to get back out tonight but alas, cloudy skies!!!! The forecast isn't good for the next few days either!!!

Gonna have a go for M31 next, trying to hit all the beginner targets!!

RTB

I remember my first Saturn view which was only about a month ago.It must have took me a few minutes to pick my jaw up off the floor:D

Perhaps the most humbling thing for me was seeing M81 and M82 both sitting together well within in the FOV. So far they are the only galaxies I've seen. I want to see M31 like you do but its below the horizon for me until way in to the early hours. My knees couldn't hack an all nighter at the moment so it will have to wait.

Yeah, best to wait until the Autumn for Andromeda. I recommend M13, reasonably easy target and quite rewarding. Also M81 & M82 are good if you stay up until its dark enough. Get in there quick because were fast entering the frustrating period for deep sky astronomy due to the light nights (End of May to mid July is pretty much a no no for deep sky stuff). But dont be disheartened by this as at the other end of it is August... the most beautiful month for astronomy IMO. :-D

Matt

ahhh.... saturn i remember the first time saw that through a 3" scope was small though lol but its still the fact thats 860 million km away jupiter is under 500 million km away and nearly twice the size. not around till aug though :) but i did see M81 the other night was a smudge in my 10" dobby but the skys was very bleached so waiting till a better night to get its full glory.......hopefully

Archived