Random cheapo Newtonian to try collimation?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

I think if you used as small a camera as possible, and mounted it well, that design could actually work? It reminds me of the RASA F2 design, and they work amazing and are obviously super fast at F2.

I look forward to seeing how you get on my friend!

Lol it may take me some time to finish. Atm I'm stuck deciding on a name for it.

TiffsandAstrograph is currently leading.

It won't be f2 unless there are actually f2 mirrors in production.

I have seen a camera cradle/basket for use on a Rasa that could be repurposable.

I'm aiming for a very budget Rasa alternative. Coma corrector obviously complicates it a bit 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I think they'd mention it if it was parabadaloidalol

My innovative design is basically extending a Newtonians ota enough that I can remove the secondary and dangle a camera a bit further away from the primary from  where the secondary was :)

Just a couple of issues to sort :)

@Tommohawk has done this with a 10” newt. Rather than extending the OTA he put a F4 mirror in an F5 tube and replaced the secondary with an Omegon camera with helical focuser. Got good results from it IIRC. 

Edited by CraigT82
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, CraigT82 said:

@Tommohawk has done this with a 10” newt. Rather than extending the OTA he put a F4 mirror in an F5 tube and replaced the secondary with an Omegon camera with helical focuser. Good good results from it IIRC. 

how the hell did he steal my design so fast?

did he post evidence of his misdeeds on here so i can steal, er i mean borrow, his hard work? 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Just now, CraigT82 said:

I can’t find much on it now but in this thread there is a pic of the camera holder….

cheers for this. f5 in f4 tube had also occurred to me. need to have a good read of this link for extra inspiration :)

Shame you weren't after a 130pds.  I could do you a deal on mine 🤣.

It's currently sitting on the project pile.  I'm planning on converting it to an Obsession Style dob, for travelling with.  Should be fun and effective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

It's currently sitting on the project pile.  I'm planning on converting it to an Obsession Style dob, for travelling with.  Should be fun and effective.

I would if I could but it's too heavy :(

4.5" newt might just be ok. 

I really have had no problem collumating my zhumell 130 with the laser, however I have noticed a slight wiggle in my focuser. I do have a metal one on the side, thinking of switching it out but actually lack the knowledge to change it out. How hard would that be or not worth the effort at this time?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Commander Cody said:

I really have had no problem collumating my zhumell 130 with the laser, however I have noticed a slight wiggle in my focuser. I do have a metal one on the side, thinking of switching it out but actually lack the knowledge to change it out. How hard would that be or not worth the effort at this time?

way above my pay grade, sorry. im sure someone can advise though.

So...it turns out a 1.25" coma corrector doesn't exist. 

How easy is it to upgrade a 1.25" focuser to a 2" ? 

Maybe it would be better to not bother doing this, or buying a 130pds which it seems weighs 4kg

On 18/08/2024 at 18:54, Ratlet said:

i looked into a 130pds and flo website says the ota and rings weight 4kg, which means i could be do-able on my sw sa gti mount.

also 130pds has a 2" focuser and has been fettled by your good self, im sure :) :)

50 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i looked into a 130pds and flo website says the ota and rings weight 4kg, which means i could be do-able on my sw sa gti mount.

also 130pds has a 2" focuser and has been fettled by your good self, im sure :) :)

I haven't touched the focuser but have interfererd with the rest of it.  Mask on the mirror, upgraded springs knurled screws for the secondary and flocked inside.

I did use my 130PDS on a AZ GTI.  For visual it was honestly not that bad.  Not sure if it would be handy for imaging.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I haven't touched the focuser but have interfererd with the rest of it.  Mask on the mirror, upgraded springs knurled screws for the secondary and flocked inside.

I did use my 130PDS on a AZ GTI.  For visual it was honestly not that bad.  Not sure if it would be handy for imaging.

I think it would be flocking good for imaging

17 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I think it would be flocking good for imaging

I think so.  Defo felt it helped for visual. For smaller reflectors it can be easier to stick the flocking material to a plastic sheet like they use to cover posters.  The tension in the plastic keeps it pressed to the walls of the tube.  I used the same method for my 10"

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/408390-flocking-a-newtonian-slightly-easier-method/

21 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

So...it turns out a 1.25" coma corrector doesn't exist. 

How easy is it to upgrade a 1.25" focuser to a 2" ? 

Maybe it would be better to not bother doing this, or buying a 130pds which it seems weighs 4kg

Save your money. One thing I've already found with cheaper newts is they will end up costing double whatever you buy them for. For shorter focal ratios, a coma corrector, collimation tools, flocking, mask, fan, dew shield or heaters. It never stops. It's worse than a wife

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I did use my 130PDS on a AZ GTI

I didn't dare attempt this. It's not just weight you have to consider, it's moment force. The scope, however small for a Newtonian, also acts as a sail. A lot depends on the tripod being used.

I also agree with @900SL, it's a lot of tinkering and adding stuff, more so if you're going to constantly move the scope, and the FL difference for me (from a 360mm refractor) wasn't that significant. Visually it was brighter (like you need a polarising filter to view the moon bright).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

I didn't dare attempt this. It's not just weight you have to consider, it's moment force. The scope, however small for a Newtonian, also acts as a sail. A lot depends on the tripod being used.

Aye, that's what I found.  The azgti was better than the AZ5, the steel tripod was better than the carbon fiber.

I made sure to balance the scope properly and chucked on the counter weight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Save your money. One thing I've already found with cheaper newts is they will end up costing double whatever you buy them for. For shorter focal ratios, a coma corrector, collimation tools, flocking, mask, fan, dew shield or heaters. It never stops. It's worse than a wife

sadly i think you're right.

even replacing the focuser with a 2" to accept a coma corrector will be at least £50 even from Ali. assuming i can even drill a 2" hole in the tube. and then there's more and more. better start with something more suitable. 

12 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I'd certainly rather have the 130PDS🤣

While 130pds is officially 4kg I think I'd be asking too much of my mount.

So I think I need to sort a mount upgrade before a new scope

50 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Are you sure you have kids? That car is far too clean!

I cleaned it before I put the scope in.  No way I'd let sensitive optics in there the way the wife leaves it.

I think the cut off for her cleaning out the car is "Are the children at risk of contracting TB?"

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I cleaned it before I put the scope in.  No way I'd let sensitive optics in there the way the wife leaves it.

I think the cut off for her cleaning out the car is "Are the children at risk of contracting TB?"

If it ever goes in front passenger seat I hope you disable the airbag