NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Master at Work

Just sharing a post on Twitter/X whatever it’s called from Damian Peach - sharing his capture of Saturn on the 19th July. 

the difference in colour between the north and south hemispheres is striking, I would love to decorate a room in our house based on these colours but Mrs would probably object! 

Note also he’s also managed to capture a glimpse of the Encke Gap. Magnificent work. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

I imagine it was from his usual planetary haunt this time of year , beside a swimming pool in Barbados.

When I saw him in April, he said he'd not been out to Barbados for a few years.  There's a tweet from the day he took it, saying how calm it was at his location on the South Coast. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

When I saw him in April, he said he'd not been out to Barbados for a few years.  There's a tweet from the day he took it, saying how calm it was at his location on the South Coast. 

Cost of living crisis hits even the loftiest it seems , he was there in '22 and slummed it in La Palma last year according to his website.

An even more special image then.

Edited by Steve Ward

9 hours ago, Elp said:

I though you could only image planets for a handful of minutes due to rotation, how'd he manage 75?

Derotation in winjupos. For Saturn 5 min captures are ok to avoid any smearing due to rotation . Then several 5min captures combined in winjupos.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kon said:

Derotation in winjupos. For Saturn 5 min captures are ok to avoid any smearing due to rotation . Then several 5min captures combined in winjupos.

I knew that, but wouldn't there be a limit to how much you can keep doing this and keep the details within "one" rotational orientation (one instance of the view which faces earth at any one point in time), otherwise you'd have to animate the rotation, unless if Saturn's rotation is very very slow. Otherwise you'd have surface details which just look like a motion blurred effect which is difficult to tell with Saturn as the banding seems to be perfectly in line with each other (something easily achieved with directional motion blurring).

Edited by Elp