NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

120mm full aperture

Looking a lot better already! Looks like a some high cloud may be causing a bit of scatter. A reasonable green filter should get pretty close to a Continuum in sharpening up achromats for white light. 

• Thanks 1

Looking good Paul. Have you tried an OIII or UHC filter, that would be narrower band that a simple green filter and may sharpen things up. How did it look visually?

I have a cheap light pollution filter which I purchased when a complete beginner. Then discovered it was rubbish for light pollution and shoved it into the back of a cupboard.

However, for some reason it does sharpen up solar, as well as bring out a little more granulation.

Looked really good visually but it was quite hard get fine focus on the phone

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Looking good Paul. Have you tried an OIII or UHC filter, that would be narrower band that a simple green filter and may sharpen things up. How did it look visually?

Looked really good visually but it was quite hard to focus on the phone. I have both a Oiii and UHC so I can try them.

1 hour ago, PeterStudz said:

I have a cheap light pollution filter which I purchased when a complete beginner. Then discovered it was rubbish for light pollution and shoved it into the back of a cupboard.

However, for some reason it does sharpen up solar, as well as bring out a little more granulation.

Do you know I have a light pollution filter never crossed my mind to try that I will give it a go thank you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Looked really good visually but it was quite hard to focus on the phone. I have both a Oiii and UHC so I can try them.

Do you know I have a light pollution filter never crossed my mind to try that I will give it a go thank you. 

An OIII will have a tighter bandpass so should work better, but worth trying to see which gives best results 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

It can be fiddly focusing a phone on the sun, especially when there are clouds around. Even more of a fiddle if you aren’t using a phone adapter. If I don’t lock focus then my phone will hunt around for focus (worse with passing clouds) and with any stray light between phone lens and eyepiece. I find it easier to focus on nighttime targets. 

About a year ago I spent one session on the sun running through all the filters that I had, just to see if there was any difference. At the time I did have a rather cheap OIII and the light pollution filter gave better results. However, I now have a decent OIII - an Astronomik - which I haven’t yet tried on solar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have an adapter this one. It does pretty good but it needs fine focus. You get the two rubber pieces which fit most eyepieces. 

Screenshot_20240710_204818_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240710_204934_eBay.jpg

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1