NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My Observatory Build.

I’ve been a long time out of astronomy due to various reasons, mostly available time and a house move.

Always there in the back of my mind and wanted a new obsy. Saw an opportunity when we took down an old summerhouse (so my wife could put an outdoor office in it’s place). I had a concrete base laid and asked them put aside as much of the old wood that was salvageable.

The pad is 150mm thick and about 4mx2.5m. I didn’t ask them to put a deeper, isolated pier block 😕

With this approach I save a few quid by minimising material costs (I also held as much of the left over office materials) but created a lot of extra work by having to plan how I’ll get the design to fit the bits that I have. As such my starting plan is to have a conventional ROR Obsy and the rest is dictated by what is in the big messy pile in the corner.

Fri - mostly mulling things over, fixing a base of sorts to the ground and getting frustrated by damp course. Hot day!

Sat and Sun - making saw dust, constantly backtracking, hiding from some serious rain.

The inner space is going to be around 2.3m x 3.7m. I’m wondering if I can put in two piers…..?

I’ll be observing, doing some solar and solar system imaging. Will dig out my old cameras and see if DSO imaging is an option.

Very keen to have ideas thrown at me with this build. I have nearly got 4 walls and a door up. By next weekend I hope to be working on the roof. I have not properly planned that yet but am thinking castor on rails (sliding gate stuff). Haven’t decided on apex roof or single slope roof.

If I did the roof with a single slope and made it the long side would I get problems or have to do something special to make the structure more rigid? For me this would be good as its less obvious to passer by and would have the least impact on obstructing my telescope view.

Keen to hear what your think.

Cheers

F300B8EF-FE0E-4F7A-B21C-4A39E65BDAC1.jpeg

DB48FB11-FC8D-4AC7-8A25-C48D26B9DF10.jpeg

BABC7DBA-B571-4EE9-8BFD-D05AB95215DF.jpeg

6BEC9AF4-86B0-4C9D-8A98-F5DE536B69DD.jpeg

A4AFB060-6226-454E-9B14-FDFC1ED31A8C.jpeg

• Like 6

@anthony Sorry but this is all wrong, what build thread goes so well and smoothly. We all love to hear about the issues people have and everyone gets to give their opinion on the best way to solve them.

Also we like to wait months between updates due to unforseen circumstances, then we can all congratulate you on the progress you're making.

But on a serious note it's looks a great design, one many may copy, keep up the good work and share the progress with us. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

😂 I guarantee there was plenty of head scratching, head bumping, measure 3 times and still cut it wrong. Plus some silly mistakes I’ll probably never admit to!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A pent roof should work quite well with your layout- have the high side towards you as viewed from the images, with the low side towards your neighbours,

That will allow for a water butt to collect runoff that doesn't get in the way so much.

Am I correct in thinking your garden is a westerly/ north westerly aspect?

P.S. That is no way to treat a pier! Just dumping it on a pile of dirt. Shame on you.... 😉

3 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

A pent roof should work quite well with your layout- have the high side towards you as viewed from the images, with the low side towards your neighbours,

That will allow for a water butt to collect runoff that doesn't get in the way so much.

Am I correct in thinking your garden is a westerly/ north westerly aspect?

P.S. That is no way to treat a pier! Just dumping it on a pile of dirt. Shame on you.... 😉

🤣  Indeed. I do agree and I apologise to everyone that exposed to such a cruel sight. In my defence, That pier is substantial and there’s not a lot of me. As it was one or both of us going down, I made a split second decision and chose not to be too involved. Think I chose right too! 

Cheers for the thoughts on the roof. I was always in fear when rolling the roof on my old obsy  I am going to do this one better.

The alignment is roughly West-East. Not precisely but pretty close.

All  very exciting  

• Like 1

On 08/07/2024 at 08:05, anthony said:

😂 I guarantee there was plenty of head scratching, head bumping, measure 3 times and still cut it wrong. Plus some silly mistakes I’ll probably never admit to!

That's like the old apprentice carpenter joke!

Gee boss, I've cut this three times and it's still too short!

Your build looks great.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

That velcro could do with a wash....

Just on its second cycle. Was looking pretty good after the first but I thought “why skimp?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over the course of the last week I have spent a lot of free time working hard yet seeing the build progress remain fairly static! As I thought about how top approach the next stages (roll off roof) I spotted potential issues and had to backtrack, make some adjustments.

When I looked into sliding gate tracks I quickly realised that the wood I had intended to support the roof and rails on wasn’t going to be wide enough. So I strapped extra wood onto what was the original platform and made sure everything was level with everything. This did involve some work with an electric plane. Though I did wing this a bit it seems to have worked out well enough.

I’ve got to the stage where I have run out of useful wood and have to put my hand in my pocket. I went through previous threads and decided on FH Brundle as the company to use for the sliding gate track and wheels. I’m going to need 9x3m lengths of track and 6 wheels. That came to £219. Eyes watered a little.

In the last picture you can see that the cat came to help. Don’t know how she got so comfortable in such an uncomfortable position and location.

A6C0A6F4-F151-4994-A4EB-47D7B246DA29.jpeg

5822DFF7-3818-4A89-A9F3-1A36E8D68E62.jpeg

A9E579EB-BC00-41AC-AAD0-A11C46A7C9FA.jpeg

7A11FDE3-48A7-4E4A-8EAD-EBF605445767.jpeg

6EEE0013-3A15-4027-8ACC-E81D34613737.jpeg

• Like 1