NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The venerable Celestron C X

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

New mewlon 180 £1995 - 1/20th wave optics 🙂

Edge hd8 £1839

C9.25 £1895

This.

I posted earlier in praise of my old C6. What I did not say was that, at regular star parties that I'd attend, my old Mewlon 180C provided such a high contrast, vivid image that it made the views through a nearby C9.25 look just boring. But tastes differ 😇

• Like 1

My 180 Maksutov is sharper and clearer than the SCT's I have owned previously. They are close to the performance of an apo refractor. Of course there's the downside of lengthy cool down times and requiring dew protection. I am willing to put up with these shortcomings for a similar performance of a 150mm apo.

• Like 1

I've only owned one C8 which I've had for 7 or so years and I've had quite an on/off relationship with it.

Most of the time I find it slightly disappointing due to softer views than the other scopes in my house that it competes with (refractors up to 5", a 5" mak, and a 14" newtonian), it is sensitive to  the seeing, and cool down takes a while.

However, every now and again it serves up a great view. One time I observed M42 and the quality of the view was shocking (as in good), and another time I was observing Venus using the C8 and a Herschel Wedge and it was the best or second best view of Venus I've ever had over many years of trying with many different set ups.

I would add it does show good detail, I see as much or sometimes more detail white light solar observing with the C8 as with  5" refractor and Herschel Wedge but the view in the C8 will have much more of that feeling that I'm looking through a swimming pool. It's also more stressful solar observing with a C8.

I got a look at Jupiter in  C16 once, but was disappointed, although it is probably not fair to judge as it was only for a few minutes.

• Like 2

Really interesting to hear comparisons in this way.   What mak @bosun21?  Skymax180?  I've a Mak127,  which I'm still learning,  seems nice but I thought the c8 or c9.25 would have bettered a mak180... no idea why I thought that....aperture I guess. 

6 hours ago, LondonNeil said:

Really interesting to hear comparisons in this way.   What mak @bosun21?  Skymax180?  I've a Mak127,  which I'm still learning,  seems nice but I thought the c8 or c9.25 would have bettered a mak180... no idea why I thought that....aperture I guess. 

Yes the 180. It's the closest to the performance of an apo refractor i have used. The small central obstruction in comparison to SCT's also gives them better contrast. They are definitely a niche scope though with being F15 and with a focal length of (2700mm). This is what the Maksutov was designed to be as a lot of the newer Gregory Maks have been shortened to F11-12 but not the 180. SCT's are a better all rounder though. For planetary, lunar and double stars Maksutovs excel.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

Out of interest,  what do used mewlons go for?

I've seen them for around £1400.00 pre-owned. They are just under £2K new.

The Mewlon 180 is F/12 and uses the Dall-Kirkham design. Very accurately figured primary mirror surface I understand.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, I watched a c9.25 on ebay,  bought from rother last year... it finished today and had only one bid so it sold for £899 +30p+p.  I know how much I need to save up now. Or I would it I knew which to get the 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have picked up an old,  really really old,  c8.  Optics look good from a quick peer inside.  Came with the full package of original tripod,  wedge, forks and clock motor.  I doubt I'll use that,  and handily it is already on a dovetail.  £300.  Cheap enough to try I thought. 

• Like 1

Let us know how it works out.  Recently, I've been seeing a bunch of various Meade and Celestron 8" SCT OTAs of various vintages coming up used on CN classifieds for $200 to $600.  That puts it in the price range of a premium eyepiece.  My only problem would be finding another closet corner to tuck it into for storage. 😁

• Haha 1

On 28/06/2024 at 20:45, Emperor!Takahashi! said:

Diffraction spikes on the brighter planets (and stars) is true. Whether that bothers someone or not is another question 🙂

I’m trying not to be bothered 😊