NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Teamviewer Whilst Imaging

I have been using Teamviewer for a long time  so I can see and control what is going on in the Observatory.  

This was always free for personal use. 

However I hadn't used it for quite a while and now it seems you have to login.  OK I did that, and after probably a few minutes it logged me out saying they had timed me out and would not let me in until a certain time.  But that time was "now".  It would not let me in unless I was a paying customer.   I thought it was because I was using a new laptop and a new install, so I tried it on an older laptop with an old install on it, but the same thing happened.  

It has now rendered Teamviewer quite useless to me.  

So is it now you just get a few intermittent free minutes unless you are a paying customer?

Does any-one know? 

Also looks like they only give Support to licensed customers so I can't even ask. 

Edited by carastro

37 minutes ago, carastro said:

I have been using Teamviewer for a long time  so I can see and control what is going on in the Observatory.  

This was always free for personal use. 

However I hadn't used it for quite a while and now it seems you have to login.  OK I did that, and after probably a few minutes it logged me out saying they had timed me out and would not let me in until a certain time.  But that time was "now".  It would not let me in unless I was a paying customer.   I thought it was because I was using a new laptop and a new install, so I tried it on an older laptop with an old install on it, but the same thing happened.  

It has now rendered Teamviewer quite useless to me.  

So is it now you just get a few intermittent free minutes unless you are a paying customer?

Does any-one know? 

Also looks like they only give Support to licensed customers so I can't even ask. 

Been on to TeamViewer site ,it's still Free but they say if they suspect you are using it for commercial use they will block you.(Note Suspect)

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

That's why I prefer RDP and/or VNC. No payments, no clouds. 

And, further, completely portable.  I use them on Windoze and Linux systems equally.

That's it! Recently I installed Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop on my old laptop, Windows 10 with updates just killed it. Now I use a Linux version of an RDP client which perfectly works with my AstroPC with NINA. 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Does any-one know?

I dont know for sure but it seems you should have had a pop-up advising of  the changes, that it is still free but you need to use the 5min (repeatable after a 1min delay) to do an update. 

Quote from TV site :-

and a limitation of sessions to 5 minutes. The 5 minutes give you enough time to perform a remote update to continue using TeamViewer (Classic) without a time limitation with TeamViewer (Classic) 15.

/Quote

So I am guessing that you need to use your newly installed new version to do a remote update during one of the 5min allocations ? ? ? But if you cant get a new 5 min :( :(  ? I dunno ! There is a lot of unhappy chatter  about it all via googling.

Edited by MalcolmP

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

I dont know for sure but it seems you should have had a pop-up advising of  the changes, that it is still free but you need to use the 5min (repeatable after a 1min delay) to do an update. 

No I never got that.  

I will look at getting the classic version of Teamviewer, maybe that was my problem as the W11 I am using was newish.   However  I used it about a week ago and whilst actually getting into the option of viewing the remote screen was a PITA, it worked constantly for the duration of imaging,  

I have tried over the last couple of days to use remote Desktp but cannot get it to login to the remote computer.  It sees the home screen but won;t accept the password.  Have had a lot of help from IT savvy friends, who cannot fathom it out,  So have given up and am now using AnyDesk.

Just wondered what everyone else thought.  

Edited by carastro

24 minutes ago, carastro said:

Give up.

probably wise ! but very frustrating.

Last clutching at straws by me would be to disconnect your router from your ISP and restart, but that only works if (a) your ISP dynamically allocates IPaddresses but that is not so common now and only works if (b) TV have blocked a group of IPs 

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve not used TeamViewer for a while, but it was Ok last time I used it. These days I sit with the kit to get it started and then I trust it to the gods, or rather the NINA advanced sequencer, to run unattended to the finish.

• Like 1

My robotic customers get this fairly regularly and contact TV to plead innocence, whereupon they get re-instated. The business model is obvious - get people addicted for free then make them pay.

I like Vroobel's info and will follow it up.

9 hours ago, Vroobel said:

That's why I prefer RDP and/or VNC. No payments, no clouds. 

Olly

• Like 1

I was hoping to do that Olly but haven’t yet found out how make contact.  Everything seems to go through “support”  but then it says for licensed customers only.  

On 23/06/2024 at 20:47, carastro said:

haven’t yet found out how make contact.  Everything seems to go through “support”  but then it says for licensed customers only.  

Hi Carole.

Try this TeamViewer webpage >click here<

(When you populate the linked web form be sure to click the “add more ID’s” button at the bottom of the form to add the ID’s for both the client TeamViewer app on the observatory PC and the host TeamViewer app on the local PC)

I have this same problem every year, which is pretty annoying given that I only use TeamViewer once or twice a year for access to the observatory PC when I’m away from home or need to be logged in to the observatory computer from two locations simultaneously.

Normally I use Microsoft Remote Desktop from my Mac in the house to the observatory Windows PC but there is a limitation with that when you want to login to both computers simultaneously, when starting a mount sky model run from the house and then want to pop out to the observatory to carry out a polar alignment adjustment for example. The observatory computer doesn’t permit you to login locally if you’re currently logged in via RDP, and logging out of RDP before going out to the observatory closes whatever programs you had open, shades of Catch-22!

I have used AnyDesk as an alternative to TeamViewer when away from home, not quite so fast as TeamViewer, but a solid second choice and still free for personal use on up to three devices.

William.

Edited by Oddsocks
Corrected mis-spelling of Carole’s name…
  • Like 2

Brilliant, I have submitted a form, but the form itself was a Pain as it would not accept my indoor laptop user ID saying it was the wrong format.  Have shortened the ID and put an explanation in the information box. 

Hope it yields some results. 

Thanks Oddsocks.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Just got this reply from Teamviewer.  Thanks so much @Oddsocks

not had a chance to try it yet.  I had difficulty entering the first ID as the form would not accept it so had to enter it in the body of the message, so hope they picked this up ok. 

1EDBBF79-4664-4229-B37C-684C75D7F2A1.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, carastro said:

Just got this reply from Teamviewer.  Thanks so much @Oddsocks

not had a chance to try it yet.  I had difficulty entering the first ID as the form would not accept it so had to enter it in the body of the message, so hope they picked this up ok. 

Thanks for the update Carole and you're very welcome.

I hope that both computers are now talking to each other again!

William.

Hi Carole,

that form should indeed do the trick, I filled it out some years ago and still use the free version of TV. If you still experience issues I can recommend AnyDesk. I had the commercial-use issue with a Canadian friend while trying to assist him setting up his observatory a few years ago. As action from TV was not instantaneously at the time we switched to AnyDesk and still connect that way in case he requests for assistance.

Nicolàs

• Like 1

• I have Anydesk as well as you can see from the screen shot, and was planning to use that when I couldn't get TV to work, but I had read some negative issues about security with it, so is very much a back up rather than a primary choice. 

Well I have tried TV and it works - yay,   

BUT, 

The new version has this box on it which is in the way of some of my software that I am using.  I have tried clicking on "Got it" and it doesn't close and it doesn't close th session if I click on the yellow box "End Session". 

There is a classic version I can try but not got that far yet.  Any feedback on this issue would be welcome.  Thanks 

• A658B52A-1826-42CA-A7AC-B7443A8BB51D.thumb.jpeg.60d86cbd0c0ba4f90d3a2a4584b98dcb.jpeg
  •  
Edited by carastro
add photo