Why I want a small APO..

So the weather has been atrocious for the last 6 months and not much better before that, I've got a couple of decent tripods a Manfrotto 475b  
   that I use with my 80mm 90-degree bins on a fork mount head but it is heavy and the bins live in a flight case, the tripods heavy to setup -
and adjust and the fork arm would need mounting after that, plus a Manfrotto 190 with an decent fluid I was thinking about a 65-75mm’ish APO that I can
  leave ready setup on the smaller tripod to use between the cloud gaps, double stars being the main objective and priced  under £500

As I see it  I’ve narrowed it down to these in order of preference..

Altair 72 EDF (FPL53 Nicer Glass) - Good reviews although mainly from imagers reports no blue bloat.
Zenithstar 73 III  - mixed bag more positive than negative.
TS-Optics Doublet SD Apo 72 mm f/6 - FPL53 / Lanthanum – Dunno, not read anything about it, plus its outside the UK.
Skywatcher ED72 (Unknown Glass) low price & proven both visual and imaging no negatives.
StellaMira 66mm ED (FPL51) Not much info around on visual.

Have I missed something off?
Or should I go all in and buy my first Takahashi (FS-60CB f/5.9 ). 😁

• Like 1

Lots of good options... I think TS scopes are an excellent value for what ones pays. And a Takahashi is a Takahashi 😊 You could probably find a used FS-60CB for ~£500. You could add the extender later, if you want, to make it into the FS-60Q, which is a sweet little scope.

In general, telescopes of this size often come up used since they're popular among imagers.

Any of those would be an enjoyable double star instrument!

Edited by Emperor!Takahashi!
  • Like 2

No way will you get a used Tak 60 for that much unless the seller is extremely desperate. They are however supposed to be extremely good, also with the various bits can be configured in a number of ways.

I have a WO Z61, it's excellent, don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Done visual and imaging, solar system, lunar, solar (WL and HA), DSO, it's excelled at everything.

Note, unless your tripod head allows for extreme tiny movements at long focal length, a dedicated alt az mount will be better. The tripod should also damp down very quickly after touching the setup.

• Like 1

Just now, Elp said:

No way will you get a used Tak 60 for that much unless the seller is extremely desperate.

Disagreed. I've seen them come up for that price. And I just scored my (3rd) FC-60 for £500. If one looks, one can find.

• Like 3

Other scopes to possibly add to the list are the Starfield 60 and 80. But they're much higher and for those prices id up the mount and get the 102 (I got mine used within budget), with a sturdy CF tripod they're not much weight to carry it out.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

I actually bought my FS60-CB for high quality bird watching. I turned it on Jupiter and it was bitingly sharp at x142... :ohmy:

It's only 60mm, but, I think mm for mm it has the best optics of any scope I've looked through.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I actually bought my FS60-CB for high quality bird watching. I turned it on Jupiter and it was bitingly sharp at x142... :ohmy:

It's only 60mm, but, I think mm for mm it has the best optics of any scope I've looked through.

Why no Extender Q? 😇

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Emperor!Takahashi! said:

Brand new, with clamshell for less than £600. https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/SHOP/list.cgi (just search for "FS-60CB" and various options come up). You'll pay shipping and VAT, though.

And the people clamoured, "Thank you, Emperor Takahashi, for gracing us with your infinite wisdom!"

Ive tried to order here before but never got past the form filling, things like prefecturesRequired?  Do just email them for a quotation ? 

6 minutes ago, Coco said:

Ive tried to order here before but never got past the form filling, things like prefecturesRequired?  Do just email them for a quotation ? 

I haven't ordered from them, myself, but I have friends who have. My suggestion is to contact them, but I bet someone else on the forum knows better than I do!

• Like 1