NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Black HEQ5 Mount disaster

Asc

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can share some advice on my situation.

Saturday night as I was setting up, the mount gave way breaking inside where the altitude adjustment screws make contact.

I have attached photos to show the location of the break. It seems that this had already been an issue for the previous owner/s as there are clear signs of either a strong glue or potential welding? 

I've had the mount for 4 years and it has worked a charm considering its age and likely many previous owners.

Do you think it is possible for it to be fixed? If so, how? Or should I start saving for a new mount?

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Clear skies!

Asca

PXL_20240610_195213076.MP.jpg

PXL_20240610_194916839.jpg

PXL_20240610_194848675.jpg

PXL_20240610_200648785.jpg

PXL_20240610_195135003.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's sad, some people aren't honest. 

It can be fixed. You have to find a good welder who can weld aluminium.  Below is an example of how the aluminium can be welded.

Good luck. 🤞

image.thumb.png.4ed04a51ef8fcdd3e690c572d9876479.png

• Like 2

If it is indeed cast aluminium some people do weld them but be prepared for some being hesitant, usually the coating needs to come off and the hesitation is because if there's porosity within the material is has a habit of blowing out whilst being welded so not many people will touch it, the grade of aluminium may also be a factor but you'll have no way of knowing without it being metallurgically/spectrometer tested which can cost.

The above example looks like extruded aluminium which doesn't present such an issue when welded.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Asc said:

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can share some advice on my situation.

Saturday night as I was setting up, the mount gave way breaking inside where the altitude adjustment screws make contact.

I have attached photos to show the location of the break. It seems that this had already been an issue for the previous owner/s as there are clear signs of either a strong glue or potential welding? 

I've had the mount for 4 years and it has worked a charm considering its age and likely many previous owners.

Do you think it is possible for it to be fixed? If so, how? Or should I start saving for a new mount?

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Clear skies!

Asca

PXL_20240610_195213076.MP.jpg

PXL_20240610_194916839.jpg

PXL_20240610_194848675.jpg

PXL_20240610_200648785.jpg

PXL_20240610_195135003.jpg 

Yes it can be welded,I used to work in engineering and had telescope tube welded up for me. As the bracket is hollow on the inside you will be able to get a good amount in there. I sure you will find some engineering shop near you who will do the work for you. Good luck hope it turns out well for you👍🤞

• Like 2

Personally I wouldn't try to resolve this using a bonding agent.  I'm quite amazed that the previous repair lasted 4 years or more.  As others have mentioned, welding would be the preferred option, however cast aluminium can be tricky to weld, and given the fact that Chinese metal has a reputation for being poor (mainly from motorbike owners where all the screws were soft as cheese :-) ) the quality of the cast may make the job of welding difficult.  Thing is you have nothing to lose trying, and it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Look on the bright side, at least it failed whilst setting up and not at a time when the mount was loaded with the weight of the scope and counter weights. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll go down the welding route and as Malc-c said I don't really have anything to lose. 

Really helpful community on here, so thanks again everyone!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Hello Asc.  Welcome to SGL.  Where are you based? I might be able to help.     🙂

Thanks. I'm based in Bedfordshire.

Edited by Asc

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

How does the average person distinguish cast aluminum from the more common cast pot metal as in the SkyTee-2 below?

spacer.pngspacer.png

You need to distinguish by manufacturing type. You have:

High pressure die casting,

Gravity/sand casting,

Investment casting,

Spin casting,

General mould casting.

Probably some others. They all generally involve melting the cast material in a "pot" or ceramic crucible. How they're introduced into the tool is where it deviates.

From the bottom picture I'd say it's a pressure die casting but would have to see more images of it, gravity/sand casting tends to have a telltale mottled finish to the surface unless it has been post machined.

Porosity levels are controlled by a manner of ways, even via tool design and product design.

• Thanks 1

Hi  your in Bedford  I am in Luton I have two mate that work in fabrication I can ask them if they will weld it if you can't find any one , if it was mine I would take it to them top guys they work with aluminium every day 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Asc said:

Thanks. I'm based in Bedfordshire.

I was going to suggest you drop Neil a PM but he's already seen the thread.  Fingers crossed his mate can help.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi  your in Bedford  I am in Luton I have two mate that work in fabrication I can ask them if they will weld it if you can't find any one , if it was mine I would take it to them top guys they work with aluminium every day 

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Do they work for a specific company I can get in contact with or are there any details you can pass on?

Thanks!

I spoke to them about it Luke won't touch it said they blow out , Tony said he knows a guy that will do it so I will get a phone number for you tomorrow and will PM you 

Luke did say may be get the broken bit made from steel with a plate and screw it in place ? May be away to go but let me get the phone number first 

I've said this before but the main reason these mounts break or end up with bent adjusting screws is because the mount pivots are set too tight at the factory.  I would urge all owners to back off the adjusting screws and check whether the mount axis can be rocked by hand without undue pressure.  If it can't then the side plates need removing and the pivot axis nuts slackened off a bit.       🙂

• Like 3