Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So Saturday I tried M106 again. I had planned to capture 2 Hours (120 x 60 second, ISO1600) but Clear Outside lied to me and it clouded up for 45 mins of the session. Anyway this is what is what I managed. I've attached the Stacked only tiff as well if anyone wants to have a go processing it. I think I definitely need Flats, I may even try and restack it with some of the pure cloud shots as the Flats and see if it makes a difference to the bright centre of the image.

TLM106NEW_Final.jpg

TLM106NEW.TIF

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Some nice detail coming through there. This is not an easy target, I find. I have collected 8 h of data in the past, and still feel I need more (could be my sky quality). What scope and camera are you using?

Scope is a Sky-watcher 130P Newt (Not the DS version), Canon EOS 500d with a 2x barlow to achieve focus. Mount is unguided EQ-AL55i Pro. I plan to purchase the Skywatcher 150P-DS before the end of the year. 

Looks like a good start. You will definitely need more data to cut down the noise and bring more detail out. Flats will help even things out too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ardsley Astro said:

Scope is a Sky-watcher 130P Newt (Not the DS version), Canon EOS 500d with a 2x barlow to achieve focus. Mount is unguided EQ-AL55i Pro. I plan to purchase the Skywatcher 150P-DS before the end of the year. 

That is a fairly slow set-up, which makes the result more impressive. I work with a Meade SN-6 6" Schmidt-Newton at F/5. If you can somehow work at prime focus that would make life a lot easier. I used an un-cooled ASI183MC for my imaging, and needed extension tubes to reach focus, so that scope has a lot of back-focus distance. Could you perhaps bring the primary mirror forward, or get a low-profile focuser?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

That is a fairly slow set-up, which makes the result more impressive. I work with a Meade SN-6 6" Schmidt-Newton at F/5. If you can somehow work at prime focus that would make life a lot easier. I used an un-cooled ASI183MC for my imaging, and needed extension tubes to reach focus, so that scope has a lot of back-focus distance. Could you perhaps bring the primary mirror forward, or get a low-profile focuser?

The Sky-Watcher 150P-DS Should sort the prime focus issue and get me back to F5, I have a shopping list but its one purchase at a time at the moment. Next will be new OTA, then later Coma Corrector, and then Dedicated Camera. I may swap the order of the last two depending on how the Images come out. I also have to figure out a guiding rig at some point.

Edited by Ardsley Astro
  • Like 1

Well I don't know if this was genius or not, I didn't take any Flat frames on the night I took the subs, So I wondered if I could use the subs that were just the clouds as the Flats, So I took 3 of them that looked to be about equal and added them into DSS. Low and behold it removed most of the bright blob in the middle. I've probably lost some detail trying to get the background dark but I think it's a reasonable effort.

M106Flat_v1.jpg

• Like 2

Well it looks like I may be moving to trying guiding quicker than I thought, My kids wanted to get me something for Fathers day so they are clubbing together and getting me the SVBONY SV165 Guide scope. For a Guide Camera I'm initially going to try my SVBONY SV205c, it only has 1 seconds max exposures but has the IMX415 sensor and I got a separate firmware that enabled gain control. I have options of USB cable to the mount or sticking with the WIFI, but I will see how it goes .

• Like 1

On 10/06/2024 at 23:02, Ardsley Astro said:

Well I don't know if this was genius or not, I didn't take any Flat frames on the night I took the subs, So I wondered if I could use the subs that were just the clouds as the Flats, So I took 3 of them that looked to be about equal and added them into DSS. Low and behold it removed most of the bright blob in the middle. I've probably lost some detail trying to get the background dark but I think it's a reasonable effort.

M106Flat_v1.jpg

i like it. its better than i've managed. i think this might be a tricky target for those new to the hobby like me, so really well done. 

Had some spare time so paired with SV165 Guide Scope and the SV205C Planetary Camera, Fixed them to the scope and pointed at the furthest terrestrial object I could find, I'm pleased to say finding focus was no issue. I looked around in PHD2 for how it manages the exposure it being effectively a web cam driver. Effectively it sets exposure to auto but going into the camera settings you can manually change both exposure and thanks to my updated firmware the gain as well. By the looks of the weather it may be a while until I can get out and run it through its paces.

• Like 1

M106 is a lovely target and certainly worth your excellent efforts, it's so far away it's almost "romantic" lol. I had a go with my Seestar the other night with about 30 minutes and I'm quite pleased despite my rather agricultural processing.

You've certainly got the equipment to do it justice, other than the Seestar my gear is too small.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the quest to do things on the cheap I thought I may have found a way to get prime focus with the DSLR with out having to do surgery moving the primary mirror up the tube. I found this on RVO.

K&F Concept Ultra Short Canon EOS T2 Adaptor - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

The difference being the threads are not 0.75mm pitch but 1mm pitch. If you remove the eyepiece holder from the 130P there does indeed appear to be M42 x 1MM thread. (I haven't confirmed this. it was just a quick measurement). So in anticipation for possibly ordering it I offered up the DSLR to see if it would focus. It's absolute borderline. It may focus but the camera will be butting up to the focuser or it may be half a mm out. If it did focus the camera would be locked in its rotation. For the sake of £14.50 though I may order one just to see.

Long term though I think I've decided to go with the Quattro 150P. But that will be nearer Autumn or Early next year, budget allowing

PXL_20240618_165217960.jpg

PXL_20240618_165232242.jpg

Edited by Ardsley Astro

Well it looks like a clear night Saturday Evening / Sunday Morning so I will be going ahead with setting up guiding, I'm not sure how much imaging a will get done as I can see the guiding being another huge learning curve. I did however order the K&F M42 - EOS adapter, Not from RVO as the postage pushed the cost up too much. It should arrive tomorrow and I will let you guys know if it fits / how far out of focus it is, and if I mange to resolve that and bring it into focus.

Main Priority though is guiding with the SVBONY SV165 Mini Guide scope and the SV205c Planetary Camera's. Resolution of the Imaging camera (Without the Barlow) is 1.49" a pixel so as long as the guiding error is under this I will be happy, Although under 1 Arc Second will be amazing. 

22 hours ago, Ardsley Astro said:

Well it looks like a clear night Saturday Evening / Sunday Morning so I will be going ahead with setting up guiding, I'm not sure how much imaging a will get done as I can see the guiding being another huge learning curve. I did however order the K&F M42 - EOS adapter, Not from RVO as the postage pushed the cost up too much. It should arrive tomorrow and I will let you guys know if it fits / how far out of focus it is, and if I mange to resolve that and bring it into focus.

Main Priority though is guiding with the SVBONY SV165 Mini Guide scope and the SV205c Planetary Camera's. Resolution of the Imaging camera (Without the Barlow) is 1.49" a pixel so as long as the guiding error is under this I will be happy, Although under 1 Arc Second will be amazing. 

FYI the diameter of the threads on the telescope are not M42 so don't try the K&F M42 EOS adapter as it wont fit.