NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iris Nebula

Tried this target a few times in the past with my OSC camera and always it was a pleasure to work with however, this time I tried for the first time with a mono camera and shot in LRGB, with luminance both at 180secs and 60secs as, the core can be blown up at longer exposures and wanted to have enough data to try out the best.

I ended up using both at the end. I did not over-stretch or over-saturated the images and tried to stay as close to what the data provided - although I did focus a lot on sharpening the image.

Used my RedCat61 + ASI2600MM + Antlia 3nm filters.

• RGB: 45 x 120secs each
  • Lum 180secs: 155
  • Lum 60secs: 65

Processed with PI using the x2 drizzle and PS.

RGB_Final_Reduced_Stars.jpg

• Like 15

I am still experimenting with different stretching techniques (this is probably my No1 nemesis) and currently I am trialing a combination of Seti Astro's "Statistical Stretch" and iHDR script in PI (https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-script-ihdr-advanced-multiscale-hdr-stretching.22915/) that I saw on YT video recently.

I did a quick processing of the same data and I came up with this version - any thoughts/ suggestions which one you might like bestRGB_clone.thumb.jpg.4eec93f7ed12f70d094f1a51b4f735a6.jpg?

• Like 2

This is such a challenging object to image and you've done a great job bringing out the surrounding dust whilst maintain the Iris as the star of the show; great star colours too.

I went through exactly the same trials with my recent attempt, endlessly tinkering and playing with Curves and masks to try to get a result I could live with.

As you have asked my personal preference is the second image but I think the black point needs to be pulled back a little.

On my screen the first image has a slight magenta cast.

I hope you don't mind but I removed the magenta and 'lifted' the first image, and darkened the second a tad :) 

Screenshot2024-05-23at23_25_29.thumb.png.5cf1eca34a012f70a34afc78cb761980.png

This is all so subjective and at the end of the day it is what looks right to you that matters.

HT is of interest.

:) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adreneline said:

This is such a challenging object to image and you've done a great job bringing out the surrounding dust whilst maintain the Iris as the star of the show; great star colours too.

I went through exactly the same trials with my recent attempt, endlessly tinkering and playing with Curves and masks to try to get a result I could live with.

As you have asked my personal preference is the second image but I think the black point needs to be pulled back a little.

On my screen the first image has a slight magenta cast.

I hope you don't mind but I removed the magenta and 'lifted' the first image, and darkened the second a tad :) 

Screenshot2024-05-23at23_25_29.thumb.png.5cf1eca34a012f70a34afc78cb761980.png

This is all so subjective and at the end of the day it is what looks right to you that matters.

HT is of interest.

:) 

I like yours better than mine 🙂

What i have concluded is that working on the display of my MacBook Air does not help as, the colours seem to come out completely different when looking at them on a different screen/ monitor. I'm looking to the above images from my work laptop and both your points are accurate (re the magenta and black point). May i please ask on what monitor are you working on and if you have performed any "calibration"?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Most displays if unless they're a professional type are not calibrated. You'd also see differences between types (LCD, IPS, OLED) and whatever percentage of what colour space they're capable of displaying. If you want consistent results you need to calibrate, but even then someone else looking on their own device will likely see a slightly different image.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroGS said:

I like yours better than mine 🙂

What i have concluded is that working on the display of my MacBook Air does not help as, the colours seem to come out completely different when looking at them on a different screen/ monitor. I'm looking to the above images from my work laptop and both your points are accurate (re the magenta and black point). May i please ask on what monitor are you working on and if you have performed any "calibration"?

I use a 16" 2019 MacBook Pro and no, I've not had had it calibrated - I see no reason to do so!

As for magenta I tend to remove it as a matter of course in NB images and look to see if removing it improves (to my eyes) a BB image, but this is all highly subjective.

Adrian

• Like 1